I’m reluctantly leaving procrastination station and getting back on the blogging train. I ignored my planner most of the week, and unusually, I don’t feel the least bit guilty about it. I just did what I wanted and it was pretty awesome. Should I let this become a habit?
Life is pretty boring here, and I’m reveling in it at the moment. I’m hoping t plan a trip (possibly to Portugal) soon, but right now I’m happy to hide in my house for the rest of the winter cooking and eating and reading. We’re sprinkling some Game of Thrones into our lives in preparation for the final season in April. That’s about as much adventure as I’m craving at the moment.
I made you something deliciously kitschy this week. It’s a Bacon Parmesan Cheese Ball. Apparently Amy and David Sedaris both love a cheese ball, so I’m fully embracing this mid-century party snack. It helps that this is completely delicious. I’d for sure serve this at my next house party.
This Bacon Parmesan Cheese Ball couldn’t be easier to make. We’re just mixing a bunch of tasty ingredients together in a mixer, crispy bacon, salty parmesan, smooth cream cheese, etc. Then we’ll mold the whole thing with chopped parsley-lined plastic wrap and store it in the fridge to firm up before serving with your favorite crackers. If you have one of those cute, stubby cheese/spreading knives, this would be the time to bring it out. Sadly, I don’t own that sort of thing. This mixture is a bit too stiff for just dipping a cracker into, so you’ll need to provide a way for your guests to spread it onto whatever eating vehicle you provide.
Wanna come over and watch TV and eat this Bacon Parmesan Cheese Ball? You can wear your pajamas and slippers. That’s how we roll. It’ll be awesome.
Bacon Parmesan Cheese Ball
- 5 slices streaky bacon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Place a skillet over medium heat and use scissors to slice your bacon into 1/2 inch pieces right into the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until the bacon is crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add cream cheese and mayo to a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Turn the mixer down to low, and add parmesan, green onion, black pepper, and cayenne until well combined. Finally, mix in the bacon.
- Spread your chopped parsley onto a large piece of plastic wrap (big enough to cover your formed cheese ball), and scoop your cheese mixture from the bowl on top of the parsley. Use the plastic wrap to help press the parsley into the outside of the cheese as you form it into a roughly spherical shape. Park this in the fridge for at least two hours to firm up.
- To serve, gently unwrap your ball and transport it to your serving platter. Serve with your favorite crackers.
Recipe slightly adapted from Erin’s Food Files.