How many lists do you have on the go on any given day? More or less than 10? I’m just wondering if I’m insane or not. On my google drive, I have seven different lists. I have another five or six on my phone. Then I have a whole notebook that is devoted solely to keeping lists. Some of them are portable, shortened versions of the google drive lists, but there are about a dozen lists that are constantly being updated in there. And then there’s Pinterest. That’s like crack for list makers. I’m crazy, right? I’m definitely crazy.
There’s just something so calming about making a list. It’s is the very essence of orderliness. When I get really bored, I find myself craving the opportunity to create a list, but I’m running out of things to make lists of. I’ve got lists for movies, books, recipes, restaurants, travel ideas, more recipes… You get the idea. Please tell me I’m not the only person who does this.
This recipe comes to you from my “next recipe” list, but more significantly from Simply Delish by Jessica Merchant. These Brown Sugar Bacon Biscuits are made with half white flour and half whole wheat flour, and I love the added texture the whole wheat adds without the biscuits losing their lightness. The brown sugar brings a subtle, deep sweetness without making the biscuits seem like dessert. And then there’s the bacon. Smoky, crispy, heavenly bacon. What’s not to love?
These biscuits are the perfect balance of savoury and sweet. They’re equally suitable for an a fried egg and a thick slice of cheddar cheese as they are to being slathered with salted butter and honey or maple syrup. I haven’t tried it yet, but I imagine they’d be the perfect dunker for something like butternut squash soup. I halved the recipe since it’s just the two of us. It’s basically impossible to stop eating these, so don’t make more than you can handle.
The recipes on this blog are basically just an extension of my list-making obsession, so I hope it’s paid off for you in some way. If nothing else, you can now eat Brown Sugar Bacon Biscuits to your heart’s content. That’s pretty awesome.
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat plain flour
- 1/6 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 2 slices bacon, cut in small pieces and cooked until crisp
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 425F (220C) and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, gently whisk together plain flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- Use your clean fingers to rub the cold butter into the dry ingredients until you have a mixture resembling wet sand.
- Stir in your bacon pieces to evenly distribute.
- Finally, stir in the buttermilk with a spatula or wooden spoon until the mixture just comes together.
- Turn your biscuit dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and gently press and fold it together. Pat your dough out to form a rectangle that's about an inch thick. Use a pizza cutter to cut your rectangle into six pieces. You'll have square biscuits, but you also won't have any wasted dough.
- Transfer your biscuits to your baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. The biscuits should be golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before devouring.