Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are loaded with chocolate, marshmallow, and puffed rice cereal for added texture. I love cookie bars because they bake all at once rather than constantly rotating batches in and out of your oven. These are delicious and so easy.
I’m still thinking about summer picnics, lying on a blanket under a tree, sipping pink sparkly wine, shoes off, cookie bars waiting to be eaten. It all sounds so splendid. And it’s all so bittersweet as I’m currently stuck in bed with a mysterious chest pain. Don’t panic. I’ve been to the doctor, and it’s nothing serious, but it is seriously annoying. As long as I don’t move my upper body or breathe too heavily, I’m fine. So you know, no picnics.
What makes Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars so awesome?
So you’ll have to go without me, and you’ll have to bring dessert. I always feel like a meal is not quite complete until you’ve had something sweet. Choosing a great dessert for a picnic can be somewhat limiting. You don’t want to take anything that needs to be refrigerated up to the time of serving, and you also don’t want to take something with a lot of frosting that can melt all over the place. Cookies, brownies, and bars are the perfect option. They’re easily transportable, can be eaten without silverware, and they’re just completely delicious.
These Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are a mash up of chocolate chip cookies and Rice Krispie treats. Folded into the cookie dough is a ribbon of marshmallow fluff and crunchy crisp rice pieces that add a bit of sweet crunch. Plus, you just smash all the dough into one pan and bake it, so no scooping in multiple batches. Easy breezy.
Get on it, kids. Make yourself some Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, head outside, and eat up.Print
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are a mash up of chocolate chip cookie and Rice Krispie treat. Also, they’re totally awesome!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 18 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/2 sticks (6 ounces) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/2 cup crisp rice cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter and flour a 9×13 baking dish.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Turn your mixer all the way down to low and slowly mix in the flour mixture.
- Step away from the electric mixer and get out your spatula to fold in the chocolate chips, then the marshmallow fluff, and finally the cereal. You want to see a ribbon of marshmallow, so don’t worry about incorporating it completely. You also don’t want your cereal to be smashed, so work gently.
- Press your dough into your waiting pan and spread as evenly as possible. Bake for about 30 minutes. The top will be golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting. I actually put mine in the fridge. Pack into an airtight container for picnics or other outdoor festivities.
Keywords: Chocolate, Cookie Bars