Woah! Now hang on there, folks. This looks like healthy food. There’s green things and red things and orange things that crunch! Don’t worry, I haven’t gone crazy. It’s actually Geoff that’s writing this post! I wanted to show you guys that healthy(ish) stuff doesn’t have to be tasteless.
This dish is so easy, even someone with the culinary skills of a teaspoon can make it, and make it look good! I used ground turkey because I was trying to be healthy but you can use beef, chicken, ostrich or gator if you like. The cheese and the chilies stop the meat from getting too dry in the oven and the peppers offer a refreshing juiciness! If you wanted to get a little more adventurous, try adding some refried beans and some taco seasoning to the meat and make the Mexican version! The great thing about this meal is that you can very easily customize it and make it your own!
Thanks for being a captive audience while Renee is at work. Cooking is not my forte and it made me insanely happy that these turned out just right! I think I might actually have some temp work lined up next week but if not, you should stay tuned for more healthy(ish) recipes!
- 4 Bell Peppers (any color)
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 3.5 oz green chilies (diced)
- 1 sachet of your favorite microwave rice
- 2 ts cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Add the chilies to a frying pan and cook until starting to brown.
- Add the turkey to the pan.
- Add in the cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper to season the meat.
- Cook until all the turkey has browned.
- Pop the rice (I recommend Spanish rice) into the microwave.
- Mix the turkey mixture, rice and 2 oz of shredded cheese together in a mixing bowl and put to the side.
- Cut the top off your bell peppers and remove the seeds and other innards!
- Fill your peppers with you turkey-rice-cheese mixture and place onto a foil-lined baking tray.
- Put the peppers into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of the peppers and put back into the oven for a couple of minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Be careful not to burn your mouth on the juicy awesomeness!