Okay, the secret’s out. I can finally tell you. After months of dreaming and hoping and scheming and stressing, it’s final. We’re moving to Scotland!!!
For right now, I’m setting aside all the stress of applying for a visa and selling everything we own. I’m suppressing the sadness I feel about leaving my amazing job and my wonderful friends. I’m focusing on the excitement and the possibilities. I’m forgetting about soon being unemployed and dreaming about how I’m going to eventually decorate our apartment. Anything can happen.
I am already thinking about emptying out our current home, though. We’ve collected a lot of random ingredients in our kitchen, and I want to eat as much as possible before I go. Expect to see a lot of cocktails and recipes using various condiments in the next few weeks. And please come over and help us drink all of our booze.
I managed to use a whole lot of nutella in these Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits. Not gonna lie, kinda wanted to just eat it all with a spoon, but I managed to actually make something. They turned out super tasty, but if I had to make this all over again, I’d do two layers of graham cracker and nutella cream cheese before topping it off with the whipped cream. You could also add some crushed hazelnuts and/or shaved chocolate to the top. But we’re trying not to buy anything unless we’re going to use it all. Sorry for the plain Jane parfaits, kids. This is real life.
And don’t worry, the only heat you’ll need for this recipe is to melt a bit of butter which you can definitely do in the microwave. It may be freezing in Glasgow, but it’s still disgustingly hot in my Honolulu kitchen.
Stick around, kids. It’s about to get crazy. Watch me try to figure out how to use British money, how to understand a Scottish accent, and how to find the @ key on my computer at my new job. Oh, plus totally awesome photos of a new country. It’s gonna be so so so so awesome.
- 1 sleeve graham crackers
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup nutella
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Whipped cream for topping
- Crush your graham crackers into find crumbs with a food processor or pop them into a zip top bag and give them a good smash with a rolling pin. Stir in the melted butter, then divide your crumbs among four glasses or other small containers. If you want to do a double layer, obviously, hold half back for a second round. Stash this in the fridge while you get on with the cream cheese layer.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and nutella with an electric mixer until smooth. Now ditch your mixer and switch over to a rubber spatula. Gently fold in your whipped topping until you're pretty much streak free. It doesn't have to be perfect.
- Divide your cream cheese mixer between your four glasses. If you're layering, here's where you'd add more graham crackers and then another layer of nutella cheesecake mixture. Finally, top the whole thing off with a fluffy cloud of whipped cream and any extra topping you might like.
- Note that you'll use the entire container of cool whip to fold into the nutella mixture, so be sure to have extra whipped topping or whipped cream if you want to top off your parfait with it.