The long weekend is so close, I can almost taste it. School is ending. It seems the sun is finally shining on the mainland. Summer is about to arrive. It’s calling to you to get out and enjoy a feast on a blanket.
Here are a few quick do’s and don’t’s for your picnic.
- Do invite all your friends. Especially if their parents own the best Chinese restaurant in town.
- Don’t put your grill on a plastic picnic table. That’s just ruins it for everyone else.
- Do put your wine or cocktail in your Starbucks reusable cup. It’s more stylish, more discreet, and it doesn’t waste plastic. And it has a lid, in case you get carried away.
- Don’t leave a mess. You’re not Don and Betty Draper. Also, if you live in a city, there’s probably someone hanging around who would be happy to have your recyclables and any leftover food. They need it more than you.
- Do pick a spot with a view of the epic South Shore swell. (Actually, anywhere beautiful will do.)
And most definitely DO bring giant chocolate chip cookies. There’s nothing like watching people’s eyes light up when you show them the size of these babies. It doesn’t matter what age they are; they’re excited. This is my go to chocolate chip cookie. It’s soft and dense in the center and loaded with chocolate.
I love this recipe by who else, Nigella Lawson. My favorite thing is that it’s made with melted butter, so you don’t have to plan ahead. The only thing her recipe was missing is a nice fat pinch of salt. Trust me. It’s essential to making these cookies taste like heaven.
I hope your long weekend is filled with laughter and sunshine, and I hope it tastes like cookies.
- 150 grams (2/3 cup) butter
- 125 grams (5/8 cup) brown sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 300 grams (2-1/2 cups) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 326 grams (12 ounces) chocolate chips (I like to mix it up with milk, semi-sweet, and dark chocolate. Whatever you have on hand.)
- Preheat oven to 340 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and let it cool for a bit. I use the microwave in 30 second intervals. Get it all melted, then go check Facebook for 10 minutes.
- Put the brown and white sugar in a mixing bowl, then pour the melted butter over them and beat them together with your mixer or a strong arm.
- Add the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate.
- Using your 1/4 cup measure, scoop out the cookie dough onto your parchment-lined baking sheet. Give them plenty of space to spread out. I make mine six at a time. You may need to stash your dough in the fridge between batches.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool on the pan for five minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Pack them up to share with friends. They’ll be so impressed.
<a href=”http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7823929/?claim=txg4vegsctk”>Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>