When I first got a car at the age of 16, it didn’t take me long to fully appreciate the many advantages this new found freedom had bestowed. Among the best perk was the ability to be able to go through the drive-thru of my favorite fast food restaurants without having to beg my parents. It was pure magic. I probably drank Shamrock Shakes from McDonald’s until I turned green myself.
Now I live in a place that doesn’t have drive-thrus, and even though we’re practically across the street from Ireland, they don’t pay any attention to St. Patrick’s day either. They definitely don’t know the thing about pinching people who don’t wear green, which is fortunate for me because my closet has a very limited color palette.
Luckily, I can make own Shamrock Shake in less time than it takes to go through the drive-thru (and yes, I do actually know how to spell through). To no one’s astonishment, all we have to do is add a splash of peppermint extract to a vanilla milkshake, then turn it green with some food coloring. And we can actually go one step further than McDonald’s ever will by adding whipped cream and sprinkles.
So stay home, get out your blender, and don’t forget to wear green this St. Patrick’s Day. Or just drink green. That counts, too, right?
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 to 1 cup milk
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 to 6 drops green food coloring
- Whipped cream and sprinkles, optional
- Combine ice cream, milk, peppermint extract and green food coloring in a blender and mix until smooth. Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
- Please don't measure this, just add and blend until the milkshake is the consistency you love.