I frequently run out of things to talk about that aren’t food related. For example, the only thing I have on my mind right now is the difference between jam and jelly. I’m so boring.
Sour Cream Scones are delicate, delicious, and the perfect vehicle for your favorite jam. If you’re more of a savoury person, these would be perfect as well. I just can’t imagine not saving at least one tender scone to douse in butter and sweet, tart raspberry jam.
Much like buttermilk biscuits, the slight acidity of the sour cream makes these scones not only more flavourful but also tender and light. It’s like eating a pillow. Scones are best served fresh, in my opinion, so I’ve intentionally made a small batch. I promise, these were all gone in one day.
Life can never be boring with Sour Cream Scones. Get on it!
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teasoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 3/8 cup cold sour cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 400F (200C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add your chunks of butter and use your fingers to squish the butter and flour together until you have a loose shaggy mixture.
- In a separate dish, whisk together sour cream, water, and egg. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix quickly and gently with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until everything starts to stick together.
- I build my scones right on my parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle some flour onto the parchment, plop your dough onto the tray, and sprinkle some more flour on top to keep everything from sticking. Gently pat your dough into a rough rectangle until it's about an inch thick. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into six pieces. Gently lift each piece to spread it out a bit on the baking tray.
- Baking for abut 12 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve warm with all your favorite jam.