Having a real grown up job is mentally exhausting. I’d forgotten how much it can wear you out to have actual responsibilities. For eight and a half solid hours, I am currently learning at least a bazillion and a half new things every day. By the time I get home, I don’t even want to keep my eyes open. I definitely don’t want to make dinner. But I live with another person in my house who never forgets about eating dinner, ahem, tea. Something has to be done.
As usual, Nigella Lawson solves all my problems. This recipe is a pizzaesque concoction that takes about five minutes of actual effort and thirty minutes to cook. And there’s a good chance that you’ll have most, if not all, of the ingredients already in your kitchen. Nigella is a genius.
Think savoury Dutch pancake topped with cheese and pepperoni. The crust is fluffy and eggy and super cheesy. Did I mention it takes five minutes? It’s post-work zombie-proof and super tasty. One pie is plenty for two people. It all comes together with one bowl and a whisk, then you can top it with whatever you want, and make it perfect for you.
Sometimes it’s best to keep things simple. Don’t overthink it. And always, always eat pizza. Any way you can get it.
- 1 egg
- 100 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) shredded cheese (whatever you have in your fridge)
- Pepperoni, jalapenos, and all your favorite toppings
- Preheat your oven to 400 and lightly spray a 9-inch pie pan with oil.
- Beat the egg, flour, salt, and milk in a small mixing bowl until smooth.
- Stir in half the cheese.
- Pour batter into pie pan and bake for 30 minutes. It will become puffy and golden.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add remaining cheese and all your favorite toppings.
- Return pan to the oven for about 2 or 3 minutes to melt the cheese and warm your toppings.
- Cut into slices and serve.