This Sweet Potato Gratin is layered with thin sliced sweet potatoes, cream, and plenty of smoked gouda cheese. It’s an absolutely irresistible side dish for Thanksgiving or any Autumn meal.
I have good news and I have bad news about this sweet potato gratin. The bad news is, there are a few luxurious ingredients in this dish, making it a touch expensive. The good news is, it’s insanely delicious. So really that’s great news. It’s also perfect for your Thanksgiving table, and I can’t think of a better excuse to splurge on a few nice ingredients.
It’s finally November, so I can unleash my deep love of all things Thanksgiving. I think it’s my perfect holiday. It’s all about delicious, home cooked food, gathering together with the people you love, and taking a moment to gain perspective on your life and focus on the beautiful bits. And you don’t have to worry about buying gifts which gives me fits of anxiety.
As soon as the Thanksgiving magazines hit the stands, I want to do nothing but look at beautiful food. And it’s pretty much a giant carb fest. We all know the side dishes are the real star. I never let a Turkey day go by without serving sweet potatoes, and this gratin is my husband’s favorite way to serve them.
This is layer upon layer of thinly sliced sweet potatoes and smoked gruyere cheese, all baked up in heavy cream. It’s decadent. It’s a little bit sweet and a little bit smoky, and it’s roll your eyes, make you sing awesome.
I love spending the month pondering my Thanksgiving menu, even when it’s just the two of us. I can’t wait to share some of my Thanksgiving favorites. This sweet potato gratin is a great place to start.Print
Sweet Potato Gratin
Awesome layers of sweet potatoes and smoked gruyere cheese are the perfect indulgent Thanksgiving side dish.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 50
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1–1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces smoked gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 and lightly spray a 2 quart casserole dish or large baking dish with oil.
- In a small sauce pan, gently heat the cream with the garlic over low heat. Remove from heat as soon as it starts to bubble.
- Start your layering by arranging your sweet potato slices in an overlapping shingle-type configuration. Then sprinkle the potatoes with a third of the thyme, salt, and pepper. Finally spread a third of the cheese over the sweet potatoes. Repeat this with two more layers, making three layers in all.
- Pour your warm, garlic infused cream over the sweet potato, cheese layers.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 20 minutes or until the cheese is lightly brown, and you can easily slide a sharp knife all the way to the bottom.
- Allow the gratin to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Watch your guests go crazy.
- This will probably taste good with cheap shredded Swiss if you don’t want to splurge on the fancy cheese.
Keywords: Sweet Potato, Cheese