With the end of the Summer Olympics, my self-imposed house arrest is also finally coming to an end. Luckily this year two solid weeks of constant TV watching coincided with a time when I needed to save money. It worked perfectly. I was trapped in my house with hour after hour of epic human achievement. I love it when a plan comes together.
But now I’m free and released back out into the world like some sort of cheapskate feral animal. I’m on the hunt for maximum pleasure with minimum money. It’s gonna be awesome.
The recipe I’m sharing today is super simple, but it tastes way better than you could ever imagine. When I made it the first time, I thought it would be just okay. By was I wrong. Whipped Ricotta of nothing short of truly awesome.
The light airiness of the cheese itself is absolutely lovely, but what really take this over the top is the simple things you sprinkle on top. Look through your pantry and get imaginative. If you have a fancy oil you’ve been saving for something special, now is the time to use it. And the contrast of the pure with cheese against the lemon zest, herbs, and oil is absolutely beautiful. People will be so impressed.
Life is meant to be loved. Let’s get out there and live it. And eat some Whipped Ricotta along the way. Perfection.
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups ricotta
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of Italian seasoning
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Bread sticks to serve
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer with a whisk attachment and whip the cream cheese until smooth. Add the milk and ricotta and whip for 4-5 minutes until the cheeses are light and fluffy.
- Spread your cheese mixture on a plate or platter to help maximize the surface area for flavorful toppings. You'll notice I didn't give specific measurements for any of the toppings. You should really go by feel. It depends on the size of your dish. Zest your lemon over the top, sprinkle the whole thing with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes (or really anything you like) then drizzle the whole thing with your most flavorful olive oil.
- Serve this up with some crunchy bread sticks and watch people get happy.