Did we all have the most amazing Christmas? Did we all eat so much we had to be rolled to bed? No? Just me? Are we all mentally preparing for how awesomely healthy we’re going to be in the new year? Dreaming about how we’re finally going to get that super hot body that everyone else seems to have?
I’ve given up on the idea that I can be healthy. The thought of eating green beans is basically equivalent to being forced to eat a bucket of meal worms in my mind. I have a serious psychological block against fruits and vegetables, and I don’t think I can change it. Apart from a serious slow down on the no holds barred feasting of the holidays, my plan is to experiment with some recipes that make little tweaks to foods that I can eat without gagging to make them a bit more healthy.
These Whole Wheat Lemon Chia Seed Waffles are part of that experiment. A very successful part. This recipe features three ingredients I would normally roll my eyes at for being ridiculous and probably not tasty health fads, whole wheat pastry flour, coconut oil, and chia seeds. I am not a nutritionist, so I am not the person to tell you what’s healthy and what’s not. What I can say is that these waffles are awesome.
The whole wheat pastry flour gives the waffles a great chewy texture. The chia seeds provide a bit of crunch, and the coconut oil doesn’t make it taste like coconut, which I was worried about since that’s a flavor I cannot abide. This recipe makes four waffles, which is perfectly reasonable for a normal size family, but if you do have leftovers, these are great reheated in the toaster. And yes, in case you’re wondering, I did still slather these in butter and syrup, so I’m sure I negated any health benefits. I’m not worried.
A new year is almost upon us, but every day is the right day to be your most awesome self. Let’s eat waffles and fall in love with life.
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat your waffle iron so it's ready to go when your batter is finished.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently whisk pastry flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to combine and work out any lumps.
- In a separate container such as a large measuring jug, whisk together buttermilk, melted coconut oil, lemon zest, egg, and lemon and vanilla extracts until well combined.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and gently and quickly fold and stir these together until combined Don't panic about a few lumps. Add your chia seeds and fold those in as well.
- Add the batter to your waffle maker and cook until golden brown and slightly crisp on the outside. Ever waffle maker is different, so do what works best for yours in terms of how much batter to add. I get four waffles from my waffle maker out of this recipe.
- Serve your waffles hot with butter and maple syrup or whatever your favorite waffle toppings are.