Self care doesn’t need to be fancy or expensive. Here are 25 at home self care ideas that are easy and cheap (or even free). I promise, they’re every bit as restorative as a trip to the spa.
If you look up self care on Pinterest or Instagram, you’re likely to see photos of people doing yoga on a breathtaking cliff top or immersed in an outdoor claw-footed bathtub filled with rose petals. Or maybe you’ll get an add for high-end skin care or an expensive spa treatment. Those things are great, but that’s not really what self care is all about.
Self care is the simple act of putting yourself first and making sure that you are nurtured and thriving. You don’t need to wait for someone else to take care of you, and you certainly don’t need to keep making everyone and everything else a priority. Your own well-being is absolutely crucial.
By prioritising self care, we are not being selfish or silly. We don’t need to feel guilty or apologise. I’m telling myself as much as you. If we just constantly keep working for the good of others without caring for ourselves, we’ll quickly be no good to anyone.
You also don’t need money to take care of yourself. Sure, a weekend at a yoga retreat would be amazing, but don’t let a lack of funds be an excuse for avoiding self care. Just take a look at this big long list of at home self care that costs practically nothing.
25 awesome at home self care ideas
- Play a song that makes you feel happy (Lizzo, anyone?).
- Dance as well or poorly as you like. No one cares. Just move your body in a way that feels good.
- Sing really really loudly.
- Take a bath or shower. Stay in the bathroom by yourself for as long as you need to.
- Write in your journal.
- Give yourself a manicure, pedicure, or facial, using only things you already have in your house.
- Read a book that makes you happy.
- Watch something that makes you laugh.
- Give yourself a foot rub.
- Do some restorative yoga
- Make yourself a drink and enjoy it alone. Could be tea or a cocktail. Whatever makes you happy.
- Cry. Sometimes it’s exactly what you need.
- Listen to/watch something that makes you laugh until your face hurts.
- Do some cardio.
- Write a love letter or a thank you letter to yourself.
- Put on clothes that make you feel amazing.
- Eat something that brings you pleasure.
- Take a nap.
- Learn something new.
- Take yourself out for lunch (or brunch or dinner, or just tea and cake). Yeah, this is not at home, but maybe you need a break from cooking. If you really don’t want to leave the house, order take out.
- Get out in nature. Again, technically this is not at home, but even if you live in the city, there’s probably a park nearby where you can at least see some flowers and trees.
- Snuggle with your pet.
- Give yourself a little pleasure. Whatever works for you.
- Light some candles, snuggle into your favorite blanket, and make a list of everything you’re grateful for.
That should be enough at home self care ideas to get you started. What else do you like to do to take care of yourself? Can we all promise to do this a little more often? I certainly know I need to. It will make us all feel a little more awesome. Take care of yourself, friends. You are 100% worth it.
Looking for more tips for taking care of your awesome self? Check out “Be Awesome: Find Joy” to learn some self care tips you can do at work.