Bacon Black Bean Chili has all the good stuff. This easy one pot dinner recipe is full of flavor and texture.
My husband and I met first in real life, but we truly fell in love over the internet. When he moved back to Taiwan from England, we had spent hours and hours talking, but not a ton of actual time alone together. We still had a lot to get to know about each other.
You better believe I had been hyping up my cooking skills during those endless Facebook chats, so I felt a bit of pressure to perform in the kitchen once we finally lived in a place where I could cook. This bacon black bean chili was one of the recipes I discovered during that time, and it became a regular in our Taiwan kitchen. Probably because black beans were something we knew we could always find in our local grocery store, but also because it's insanely delicious.
What makes this chili so awesome?
This Bacon Black Bean Chili is a little bit spicy and a little bit smoky. It's on the borderline of being a soup, but it's very hearty. You could probably even add some ground beef or turkey if you really wanted to max it out, but I like it the way it is. Bacon, beans, onions, tomatoes, chilis, seasonings, and love. Topping it off with cheese and sour cream never hurt anything.
Using canned beans makes this recipe come together really quickly, so it's perfectly reasonable for a week night. It's also easy to double if you want to feed a crowd. I much prefer a meal that can be made all in one pot.
Bacon Black Bean Chili has been a staple of my marriage. Perhaps this one pot wonder will help you fall in love a little bit more. Maybe with bacon. Maybe with a human. I'm not picky.
Bacon Black Bean Chili
Bacon Black Bean Chili is smoky and spicy, and perfect for sharing with someone you love.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Southwest
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup petite diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans black beans, drain, not rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Scallions for topping
- Shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Sour cream for topping
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Place a large pot over medium high heat, and cut your bacon into small pieces with scissors right over the pot. Let the bacon cook until it just starts to get crispy around the edges.
- While the bacon is cooking, chop your onion and garlic. Add the onion to the pot and give it a stir. Cook for about five minutes or until the onions start to soften. Add the garlic and stir. Cook for about a minute or until you start to smell the garlic.
- You'll probably have some lovely brown bits on the bottom of your pan by now. Add about half of your chicken brown, and scrape the bottom of the pan with your spoon to get all that flavor into your chili. Add the rest of the broth, the tomatoes and chiles, ketchup, Worcestershire, chili powder, and cumin, and stir it all together. Finally, stir in your beans.
- Adjust the heat so that you have a lively simmer, and allow everything to cook together for about 10 minutes. Come back and taste for seasoning, then add salt and pepper as you like. Turn the heat off, and give it a squeeze of lime juice.
- Scoop your chili into a bowl, top it with your favorite toppings, put some chips on the side for dipping, and eat with someone you love.