Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links. I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase as a result of clicking one of these links. There is no additional cost to you.
Baked Chicken Parm Nuggets are easy to make and way more delicious than frozen nuggets. And they're much better for you as well. They're an awesome dinner for kids and grown ups alike.
I was a picky eater with a busy schedule and a stressed out mom. I was very active and easily distracted and would often forget to eat. Though my mother tried to offer me healthier options as a child, her main goal was to just get me to eat something, anything. Frozen chicken nuggets definitely fit the bill.
These days, I'm slightly more discerning, but only slightly. I definitely turn my nose up at a frozen nugget made from scraps of chicken pieces compressed into a spongy sort of foam. Homemade chicken nuggets made from actual chicken breast that I cut and breaded myself are another matter all together. Get your dipping sauces out, kids. I'm definitely into that.
What makes Baked Chicken Parm Nuggets so awesome?
These Baked Chicken Parm Nuggets are brined in buttermilk to keep them juicy and tender. Then they're coated in a crunchy layer of breadcrumbs and the flavor gets amped up with a heaping helping of grated Parmesan. And to make my life easier, they're baked instead of fried. I guess that makes them healthier as well.
I love to make these for dinner and pull all the condiments out of my fridge for a variety of dips. My favorite is to serve them with sweet potato fries when I can because it makes me happy. I've also made these for parties with little tooth picks next to them so people can wander past and pop a nugget into their mouths. It's straight up fun, and people love it.
Make it magical
As a kitchen witch, I believe that all cooking is inherently magical. There's a process of transmutation when you bring your ingredients together with the elements and your intention that creates something better than gold. And while I think semi-homemade cooking can still be magical, there is a beautiful power in taking the extra time to cook from scratch.
As kitchen witches, we can lovingly choose each ingredient, knowing its physical and metaphysical properties more clearly. We can create something that is uniquely our own. We can work love and protection into every step. And when we share our food with those we love, we can feel pride and warmth in the effort we put into nourishing them. Even if they don't always appreciate it, we know the magick we've weaved for them.
Tips for making Baked Chicken Parm Nuggets
So while this is certainly more cumbersome than opening a bag of frozen nuggets and dumping them on a baking sheet, it's hardly difficult. There is a bit of planning involved as you want to give your chicken pieces some time to hang out in the buttermilk. But you can totally do this the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight.
In a shallow container, you're going to mix up an awesome crumb coating with lots of Parmesan cheese along with a few spices. You can adjust the spices based on your taste, but I like some garlic granules and paprika. A dash of cayenne never hurt anything either.
Then just pull your chicken pieces out of their buttermilk bath, dredge them in the crumb coating, and arrange them on a wire rack over a baking sheet. The rack allows the air to circulate around the chicken for maximum crispiness. The last tip is to spray a bit of oil on each nugget to help them crisp up. Then just pop them in the oven, giving them a flip about halfway through. They take about 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
I think these would be great in an air fryer. I don't have one, but give them a try and let me know how it goes.
If you're ready to take your chicken nugget game to the next level, you really need to try these Baked Chicken Parm Nuggets. It's gonna be awesome.
Looking for more awesome chicken recipes? Try this Chicken & Goat Cheee Pasta or some Garlic & Herb Baked Chicken.Print
Baked Chicken Parm Nuggets
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 to 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup regular seasoned bread crumbs
- ⅙ cup flour
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cut your chicken into large chunks. Big enough for about two bites per nugget. Place your chicken pieces in a bowl, season it with salt and pepper and give it a toss. Cover the chicken with buttermilk, cover your bowl, and store it in the fridge for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- When you're ready to make your chicken nuggets, preheat your oven to 450 F (225 C). Line a baking sheet with foil then pop a rack on top of that. Spray the rack with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all your remaining ingredients. Use tongs to pull out some chicken pieces from the buttermilk. I do about five pieces at a time. Toss the chicken in your bread crumb mixture. Make sure each piece is well coated. Transfer the coated chicken to your oiled rack.
- Spray the chicken with your oil spray and bake for seven minutes. Pull the tray out of the oven and use your (clean) tongs to flip each piece over. Spray again with oil and bake for another seven minutes or until your chicken is cooked through.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving with your favorite dipping sauce.
Keywords: chicken nuggets
Follow me on Pinterest for more awesome dinner ideas.
Leave a Reply