Barbecue Chicken Pizza is smoky and spicy, with a hint of sweetness, and it's oh so cheesy. And when it's made at home, you can customize it to suit everyone's taste. Pizza night is about to get awesome.
When most of the world shut down in 2020, there were those of us who panicked. Having to stay in our homes felt like a form of imprisonment. It was stifling, restrictive, and nearly intolerable. But others of us felt a pang of guilt when we realized that having permission to stay in our homes all day every day was exactly what we'd always dreamed of. It gave us the freedom to untether from societal pressures and settle into peace and contentment.
I was definitely in the latter camp. I like going out into the world and exploring, but I prefer to do it on my terms. Being able to stay in without having to make excuses was so liberating. And many of us learned that we didn't need to go to restaurants to get our fix of our favorite foods, either. We could simply make them ourselves in our very own kitchens, and they came out exactly the way we wanted, not the way some chef or marketing committee decided they should be.
What makes Barbecue Chicken Pizza so awesome?
Homemade Barbecue Chicken Pizza is freaking delicious. Sure, it's fairly ubiquitous on pizzeria menus these days, but the beauty of homemade pizza is that you can customize it to your exact specifications. And not just for you. Everyone in the household can get exactly what they want. Extra cheese? You got it. More sauce? No problem. Wait, you want red onion on yours? Let's half and half it baby, no extra charge.
You can make your own pizza dough or use store bought. You could also just buy precooked chicken or grill your own. This is also a great place to use up leftovers. And heck, if you wanted to make your own barbecue sauce, knock yourelf out. Think of this pizza as a work of smoky, spicy, sweet, and savoury art. Make all your pizza dreams come trus.
Magical Properties of Onions
Onions have a sharp, fiery energy to them. Tied to the planet Mars, they're commonly used in spells for protection, fertility, and passion. Onions have also traditionally been used in spells for banishing unwanted guests or bad habits. One spell suggests burning onion blossoms while making affirmations to get rid of bad habits. The smoke provides a cleansing energy that helps drive the bad habits away. (Source: Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells by Judika Illes)
For more on the magical properties of the ingredients in this recipe, check the Kitchen Magick page.
Related - Herbs in Witchcraft: Onions
Here's everything you'll need to make this recipe. All the details are in the recipe card below.
- Pizza dough - store bought or homemade
- Barbecue sauce - use your favorite brand
- Cooked chicken - use leftovers, rotisserie, or precooked, whatever works for you
- Cheese - a mix of smoked cheddar and shredded mozzarella is ideal
- Red onion - thinly sliced, but only for those who like it
Tips for making this Barbecue Chicken Pizza
Homemade pizza doesn't have to be complicated. Sure, if you have a fancy pizza oven, use it. You can even cook pizza on a grill. You don't need a pizza stone in your oven either. Sure, it's helpful for that perfect crust, but not essential. All you need is an oven heated almost as high as it will go, and a baking sheet of any shape.
Stretch your dough to fit your baking vessel (mine was obviously rectangular), then spread it with a layer of barbecue sauce. Use as much as you like, but it's not like frosting a cake. Next, scatter your chopped chicken over your dough, followed by the sliced red onion. Then cover the whole thing in a mixture of shredded mozzarella and smoked cheddar cheese.
Bake this for about 10 minutes. The cheese will be gooey and the dough will be puffed around the edges. Allow it to cool just long enough so that it wouldn't burn you, then slice and eat hot.
Make your Barbecue Chicken Pizza exactly the way you like it. It can't help but be awesome.Print
Barbecue Chicken Pizza
Barbecue Chicken Pizza is smoky and spicy, with a hint of sweetness, and it's oh so cheesy. And when it's made at home, you can customize it to suit everyone's taste.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 pizza 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Pizza dough, enough for 1 pizza
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 475 F (440 C). Make sure your oven is fully heated before you bake your pizza.
- If you have it, sprinkle a pinch of semolina or fine cornmeal onto your baking sheet to help stop the pizza from sticking.
- Stretch your dough ball into a thin shape that fits your pan, leaving it slightly thicker around the edges to form your crust.
- Spread the barbecue sauce in a thin layer, leaving about an inch all the way around. Then scatter over the chicken, followed by the onion. Finally, cover the whole thing in both cheeses.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the crust is puffed around the edges and the cheese is fully melted.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before slicing and eating.
*Don't worry too much about the measurements. Use what looks good to you.
Keywords: barbecue chicken pizza
Follow me on Pinterest for more awesome dinner recipes.