Better Than Sex Cupcakes are as good as they sound. Chocolate cupcakes are soaked with sweetened condensed milk and topped with fluffy frosting and toffee for ultimate pleasure.
This weekend, I was lucky enough to donate some treats to a really cool event, a production of The Vagina Monologues, at the First Unitarian Church of Honolulu. The event included food, music, and a Better Than Sex Bake Sale. The whole thing benefited a local transitional home for women and children escaping domestic violence.
I'm not even sure how to write about domestic violence without getting angry. There's not much in the world that's more upsetting than when people hurt each other while saying they love each other. It breaks my heart, and I'll take any little opportunity to help empower women to be strong or men to be kind.
I hope people paid a bucket of money for these cupcakes today. They were certainly delightful. A lovely light devil's food cupcake drenched in caramel and condensed milk, topped off with a creamy, fluffy vanilla frosting and crunchy bits of toffee. Are they actually better than sex? Well, they're certainly swoon-worthy. I'd eat a pack of them if I could.
How to make Better Than Sex Cupcakes
These better than sex cupcakes do take a bit more effort than the traditional 13 x 9-inch cake version. They start out simple with a basic devil's food cupcake. You can make them from scratch or use a box mix. The caramel and condensed milk mixture gets injected into the cupcakes with a small round piping tip. It's pretty messy. I think my entire kitchen, not to mention my arms and face, may have been coated in sticky sweetness. But once everything was settled and wiped down and it was finally time to eat, it was all worth it.
So, boys and girls, be kind to each other, and when you feel angry, just eat a cupcake. It might be better than. . . well, you know.Print
Better Than Sex Cupcakes
A sweet, caramel and condensed milk soaked chocolate cupcake topped off with fluffy vanilla frosting and toffee bits. It just might be better than sex.
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 60
- Yield: 22 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- For the cake;
- 1 recipe of your favorite Devil's Food Cupcakes, I used Duncan Hines cake mix (plus 3 eggs, 1 cup water, and ⅓ cup vegetable oil)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup caramel sauce
For the frosting
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup toffee bits
For the cupcakes
- Prepare your cupcakes according to your favorite recipe or package instructions. Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Poke four holes in each cupcake with a chopstick or other round object.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together condensed milk and caramel sauce. Transfer this mixture to a piping bag or a zip top bag. You can just snip the tip off, but the mixture will be very runny. I highly recommend using a small round piping tip. I used a Wilton #5.
- Insert your piping tip or bag into each of the four holes in each cupcake and squeeze the mixture in. This can be very messy, so plan for drips.
For the frosting
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together flour and milk. Continue to whisk and heat until the mixture becomes thick like elementary school paste. Pop this into the fridge to cool for about ten minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together on medium speed for about five minutes. You want the mixture to be very light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add the milk and flour mixture, and beat on medium for another three minutes. Your frosting should be very fluffy, almost like whipped cream.
- I used a Wilton 1M tip to pipe my frosting on. Hold the bag straight above the cupcake and squeeze for five seconds, then pull straight up.
- Sprinkle with toffee bits. Take the first bite when no one's looking, just in case it really is that good.
Keywords: Chocolate, Cupcakes
Make sure you follow me on Pinterest for even more awesome cupcake and dessert ideas.