Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese is absolutely epic. With spicy chicken and three kinds of cheese, this mac and cheese recipe can't be beat.
Hopefully you've figured out by now that this is not the place to go for light and healthy, trendy super foods. This is not the place to go for your five a day or tips on how to get six pack abs. This is not the place for quinoa, chia seeds, or kale or whatever health food is currently trending. Most of the food you'll find here might not even look that good on Instagram. Believe me, there are plenty of food blogs out there where you can get all those things. This is not that.
What you will find here is food that tastes really really good. Food that's indulgent and easy to make. Food that's so good you'll want to dance and sing. I guess you could say I'm teaching you self-discipline because this is food you won't want to stop eating but maybe should. All things in moderation, including Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese. I know my point of view, and I'm sticking with it.
What makes Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese so awesome?
This Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese recipe has three different kinds of cheese, plenty of Transformer Chicken, and enough buffalo sauce to make your nose run. It's not outrageously spicy, but there is a noticeable level of heat. Get into it.
This recipe is a bit involved and will dirty quite a few dishes. Nothing is difficult, but there are a few separate elements that all have to come together. It's absolutely delicious, though, and makes enough to feed six very hungry people, so it's undoubtedly worth it. My husband said this was the best macaroni and cheese he's ever had, and I make a lot of mac and cheese.
It's a good thing to know yourself and be content. Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese makes me happy, and I hope it makes you happy, too.Print
Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese
Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese is an indulgent dish with a serious kick.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 2.5 ounces unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cups buffalo sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2-½ cups half and half
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese or cheddar with chillies, cubed or shredded
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat your oven to 350F (175C) and spray a large casserole dish or 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add some salt, then cook your macaroni until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- While your pasta is cooking, melt 1.5 ounces of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add your shallot and cook for a few minutes until it softens. Next, add your chicken and garlic and let it cook for a couple more minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add ½ cup of the buffalo sauce. Stir this all together and bring it to a simmer for a minute or so to thicken the sauce slightly. Turn off the heat and set this aside while you get on with your cheese sauce.
- Melt 1 ounce of butter in a medium sauce pan over medium low heat. Whisk in the flour and mustard powder to make a paste. Slowly whisk in the half and half, about a half cup at a time, whisking until smooth before you add the next addition. Once you've created a smooth creamy sauce, you can then stir in your remaining half cup buffalo sauce. Once your mixture is bubbling gently, add the cheddar, pepper jack cheese, and sour cream, and stir until the cheese is melted and your sauce is smooth.
- Now it's time to toss together all the parts. If your sauce pan is big enough, you can add your pasta and chicken straight into that, but it may need to all go into the pasta pot to give you enough space to stir it all together. Once your mixture is properly combined, transfer the whole lot to your waiting casserole dish.
- Scatter the top of the casserole with your panko breadcrumbs, then dot the whole thing with blue cheese all over the top. Finally, sprinkle the parsley over everything.
- Bake this mass of cheesy goodness for 30-40 minutes until as brown and bubbly as you desire.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes to cool before you try to eat this. It's best served straight away, but it's still pretty awesome reheated, though your cheese may become a bit oily.
Keywords: Chicken, Pasta, Cheese