Normally I don’t mind living in a 600 square foot duplex. It’s plenty of room for us, with the exception of the shower, and we’ve learned to adapt to the limited space. When it’s just two or three of us living here, everything’s grand. The only thing I really miss is being able to entertain.
I love getting my friends gathered around a table and feeding them. It’s definitely in the top five of my favorite past times. I have a dream of one day moving into a house or apartment that can fit a dining room table. I would have people over to eat all the dang time. Whether it be for an actual meal or a spread of apps and zerts (thank Tom Haverford), I could easily feed whoever walked through my door, and they would be happy.
One of the things I’d put on that table are these Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels. They’re perfect for parties because you can eat them with one hand in a couple of bites. You never have to set down your drink. There’s spicy shredded chicken, jalapenos, and gooey cheese wrapped in buttery, flaky pastry. I fail to see anything less than awesome about this situation.
I used crescent roll dough for mine because it’s cheaper, and my store was out of puff pastry. Use whatever is easiest for you. I also made a spiced up version of my transformer chicken for this recipe. Cook the chicken ahead of time, shred it in your stand mixer if you have one, and make this recipe come together in a flash. I also highly recommend stashing your rolled up chicken/dough situation in the fridge for about 10 minutes before slicing. It will make your life so much easier.
Here’s to day dreams filled with cute aprons, tables sagging under the weight of too much delicious food, and friends who laugh out loud.
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 4 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tube crescent roll dough
- Preheat oven to 350 and cover a baking sheet in parchment paper.
- Mix together chicken, sauce, veggies, cheese, and seasonings in a large bowl. If you've shredded your chicken in your mixer, just use that to combine everything.
- Gently roll out your crescent roll dough, pressing the seams together. I do this right on the parchment-covered baking sheet. Spread the chicken mixture evenly across the dough. Gently roll this up from the long side. Put the roll in the fridge for ten minutes.
- Remove the roll from the fridge and use a sharp knife to slice it into one inch pieces. Spread your pinwheels out on the parchment and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.
- I served mine with a small dish of bleu cheese dressing drizzled with some extra buffalo sauce.