Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links. I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase as a result of clicking one of these links. There is no additional cost to you.
Cheesy Sausage Squares are pure indulgence in the morning. Your favorite sausage is mixed with cream cheese and plenty of shredded cheddar, then topped with flaky pasty and baked until golden brown. It's a simple way to feed a group for breakfast or brunch.
After two and a half years living in the UK, not only do I have to fork over all my money to renew my visa, but I have also finally started to figure out how to make British ingredients mock some of my American favorites.
This recipe involves two American products that I love and was so sad to have to live without. The first is Jimmy Dean sausage, and the second is Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. Put those two things together, and you are basically guaranteed to be eating something awesome. Their absence left a sad hole in my life.
What makes Cheesy Sausage Squares so awesome?
I've managed to partially fill those holes. Jus-Roll croissants are not 100% exactly the same as crescent rolls, but they're pretty damn awesome. I have been known to eat all six of them by myself in one day. They also perform really well in recipes like this, better than just regular puff pastry.
Jimmy Dean sausage is a bit trickier to pin down, but I've found that if you add cumin and and crushed red pepper flakes to Cumberland sausage, it's tasty enough to be getting on with.
I've been testing lots of recipes lately, and nothing had really been exciting me until I made these Cheesy Sausage Squares. I mean, it's hard to say no to something this loaded with cheese. We send that spicy sausage swimming in some cream cheese, lay some shredded cheddar on top of that, and wrap the whole thing in pastry by way of buttery, flaky croissants in a can. We like to keep it classy around here.
It takes some time to figure life out, but occasionally you solve some problems and then get to eat delicious things. These Cheesy Sausage Squares were an excellent discovery.Print
Cheesy Sausage Squares
Cheesy Crescent Squares are an absolutely creamy delicious start to your morning.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 can croissants or crescent squares
- 1 pound sausage, casings removed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375F and lightly grease a rectangular casserole or baking dish.
- Unroll your croissants and cover the bottom of your pan with the dough. Trim off the excess of the roll and save it for the top.
- Cook your sausage over medium heat in a large skillet, breaking it up with your wooden spoon as it cooks. While it's cooking, add the cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, and black pepper, and stir it through evenly.
- Once your sausage is cooked through, add the cream cheese to the skillet, and stir as it melts to combine it with the sausage.
- Add your sausage cream cheese mixture to your casserole dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar evenly over the sausage, then cover the whole thing with another layer of your croissant dough. If you have any excess, trim it off.
- Bake the whole thing for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is browned.
- Allow this to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
Keywords: Sausage, Cheese, Pastry
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Here's a list of 17 Awesome Savory Breakfast Recipes.
Leave a Reply