This Chicken Corn Chowder is loaded with goodness. Chicken, corn, potatoes, cheese, all the good stuff in one bowl. Make this easy recipe to stay cozy.
Mondays are hard. There’s no way to get around it. You wake up late, you’re hair’s a mess, your scooter won’t start, and you have at least 75 voice mails on your phone all from people who want something from you right now. But you can set yourself up for a great week by making a big pot of soup that you can keep going back to night after night. The genius part is that it just keeps getting better and better.
I made a huge pot of Chicken Corn Chowder, and I plan to keep dipping in to it for a few days. Step one is to fry up six slices of bacon, so we’re already off to a good start. And it’s all up hill from there. Next we cook some potatoes and green onions in bacon fat. I feel like we could just stop here and be happy, but we’re going to load it up with sweet corn and shredded chicken. Because I’m in Hawaii, I used kalua chicken, which is slow roasted with Hawaiian sea salt. Any leftover chicken or a grocery store rotisserie chicken would also be awesome.
When we serve it, we’re going to bring back that bacon, some green onions, and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese. The seasonings are warm, and green chiles and cayenne add a bit of spice. Chicken Corn Chowder is hearty and packed with flavor. Add some crusty bread, and you’ve got yourself a seriously awesome dinner.
Mondays are hard, but soup is easy. Get it going, and have an awesome week!Print
Chicken Corn Chowder
Chicken Corn Chowder gets topped with bacon, green onions, and cheese. It’s hearty and flavorful and feeds an army.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped, whites and greens separated
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay or a dash of the following: paprika, mustard powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice, clove, and ginger (Really, any warm spices will work here. Use what you have on hand).
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- Cheddar cheese for garnish
- In a large pot over medium high heat, cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add potatoes and whites of green onions to bacon fat. Cook, stirring occasionally for a couple of minutes until green onions are softened.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan and stir constantly for a minute, coating the potatoes in the flour.
- Stir in the milk, chicken stock, and all of the seasonings. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the corn, creamed corn, green chiles, and chicken. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Let this all simmer together for another five minutes or so.
- Dish up your chowder and top with reserved crispy bacon, the green tops of your green onions, and a sprinkling of sharp cheddar. Refrigerate the leftovers to get your through the week.
Keywords: Chicken, Corn, Soup