Chicken Parmesan might be your go to order at the Italian restaurant, but it’s so easy to make at home. This will quickly become your favorite dinner.
When my husband and I first moved in together, it was after five months of being on different continents. Even though we had been seeing each other for a couple of months before he went back to England, much of our relationship developed online. When we found ourselves in the same apartment, we still had a lot to learn about one another.
The one thing I was most excited about was to show off my cooking skills. I finally had a kitchen again, and even better, someone to cook for. I wanted to make sure he knew he’d gotten himself into a good situation. I remember the first time I made this chicken parmesan in our tiny Taiwan kitchen. Geoff flipped out over it and immediately declared it the best chicken he’d ever eaten. It turns out he does that a lot, but at the time, I was pretty proud of myself.
It is super awesome, no matter how easy you are to impress. Thin, crispy, well-seasoned chicken topped off with your favorite tomato sauce and oozing with a layer of salty mozzarella cheese. This is a pretty standard recipe. Nothing flashy. I guess you could call it classic and for good reason.
Some of my favorite moments in my marriage are when we still manage to surprise each other. Every now and then, I still manage to create a new favorite. But this was one of his first favorites, and I’ll always remember that when I make it.
Crispy breaded chicken, topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese hangs out on a bed of pasta and makes everybody happy.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pan Fried
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- About 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- About 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- Preheat your oven to 400 and put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Put your chicken breasts in a large zip top bag and give them a good whack with something heavy like a mallet or a rolling pin. You want it to be of equal thickness all over. About a half an inch.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Get out three plates or other shallow containers. Fill one with flour, one with your eggs, lightly beaten, and one with the panko breadcrumbs. Make sure the ingredients are spread out into a thin layer.
- Place your chicken breast on the flour plate, then give it a flip. Lightly shake off excess flour. Next dip both sides in the beaten egg and let it drip for a second to remove excess. Finally, press both sides into the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the second breast.
- In a large skillet, heat oil to medium high heat. Cook your chicken for about 3 of 4 minutes on each side until browned. Transfer chicken to a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Top each breast with a large spoonful of tomato sauce and two slices of cheese. Put chicken in the oven for about 7 minutes to finish cooking and melt cheese.
- While the chicken is in the oven, boil your pasta.
- To serve, fill each plate with spaghetti and top with tomato sauce. Place the chicken on top of your pasta bed and prepare to impress your loved ones.
Keywords: Chicken, Pasta
Don’t forget to share a photo of your chicken parm and tag me on Instagram. I love to see what you’re having for dinner.