Take the easy way to get to this absolutely awesome Chocolate Orange Mousse. It’s thick and creamy with a hint of citrus. Just try to stop eating it.
This year, we’re keeping things intimate for the holidays. It’s just the two of us, and Christmas without my baby just isn’t the same. We got a small potted tree from the grocery store, which I happen to think is completely adorable. We’re doing out best to keep it simple, and yet each time we discuss our Christmas day menu, we end up with way too much food on the list. It’s a good problem.
Chocolate Orange Mousse is an awesomely elegant dessert for an intimate holiday meal. This batch makes four small servings, so you could have two left over for the next day, or just fill two larger cups and go to town on chocolate orange overload.
When I was a teenager, I wished every year that somebody would give me one of those chocolate oranges. I think I’ve only ever gotten one in my life. This Chocolate Orange Mousse tastes exactly like that. And it’s barely more complicated to make than cracking one of those chocolate oranges into adorable delicious pieces.
The quality of the mousse is dependent on the quality of your chocolate, so feel free to get second cheapest or better. You only need 3 ounces. After that you just need to whip some cream, gently fold some ingredients together, stir in some booze and juice, and refrigerate. Too simple.
A simple, intimate meal doesn’t have to be boring. Wrap it all up with Chocolate Orange Mousse. You’ll love it.Print
Chocolate Orange Mousse
Chocolate Orange Mousse is as simple as it is awesome.
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixed
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 3 ounces dark chocolate chips, or finely chopped chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon Triple Sec or other orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Orange zest
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl or over a double boiler. This amount only takes about 30 seconds in the microwave. Stir until smooth and allow to cool slightly.
- Whip 1/2 cup heavy cream along with a pinch of salt until it’s stiff but still smooth. Halfway between soft peaks and stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the sweetened condensed milk into the whipped cream.
- Add a third of your cream mixture into your melted chocolate and fold to combine. You can be a bit more rough here.
- Gently fold the remaining cream into the chocolate, working in two batches. It may not stay perfectly smooth, but it will still taste great.
- Finally, stir in the Triple Sec and orange juice.
- Divide your mousse between four small or two medium cups and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When ready to serve, whip your remaining cream. Top each of the cups with a dollop of whipped cream and some orange zest. Share with someone you love.