These crisp Chocolate Wafer cookies are deeply chocolaty. And since they’re homemade, this recipe contains no palm oil. They can also be crushed up to use for crumbs in other recipes.
Some days I get lazy. I just want to get my grocery shopping over with and avoid any hassles. Other days, I’m a guilt ridden consumer who feels like every time I turn around I’m killing off another species. It’s a tricky balance. I try to be at least moderately conscientious about my palm oil consumption, but I’m not going to promise I haven’t bought any Oreos in the past year.
The good news is, a lot of companies are starting to catch on to the environmental threat of deforestation caused by palm oil. Companies like Nestle, Kellog’s, and Starbucks have made a commitment to use only sustainable palm oil, which is better than nothing, but the best bet is always to make things yourself. Luckily, making your own crunchy chocolate wafer cookies is super easy.
What makes Chocolate Wafer Cookies so awesome?
These chocolate wafer cookies have a lovely, deep, chocolate flavor. The dough has to be chilled for at least an hour before baking, but you can definitely make the dough one day and bake the cookies another day. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make my own chocolate wafer cookies.
If you’re a super patient person, you could even take the time to roll them out into a perfect cylinder before slicing and baking. I don’t really care as long as there’s chocolate in my life that doesn’t threaten tigers and orangutans and a million other animals.
I also love that these cookies can be used for about a bajillion different things. I’m thinking you can sandwich them with some peanut butter cream cheese frosting. Ice cream sandwiches would be great, too. Crush them up for an outrageous pie crust. I have a plan for these particular cookies that I’ll show you next week. It’s super awesome.
Being a responsible consumer isn’t easy. I’m not nearly as awesome at it as I should be. We all do the best we can. You should probably have a chocolate wafer cookie. It will make you feel better.Print
Chocolate Wafer Cookies
Crunchy chocolate wafer cookies with no palm oil and tons of flavor.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 36 1x
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Baked
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 100 grams butter, softened
- 150 grams sugar
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 1 egg white
- 50 grams cocoa powder
- 150 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and both sugars at medium speed for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add egg white and beat to combine.
- Sift cocoa powder, flour,baking soda, and salt over your butter and sugar mixture. Beat on low speed until everything comes together. The dough will be very stiff.
- Scoop the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Use the plastic wrap to help you form the dough into a cylindrical shape about 20 centimeters long. Wrap the dough in the plastic and chill for at least an hour. Overnight is fine.
- Preheat your oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- Use a sharp knife to slice off about a half a centimeter of cookie dough at a time. Lay the slices flat on the cookie sheet with about an inch of space between each.
- Bake cookies for about 12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool.
- Dip, sandwich, crumble or eat straight up, guilt free.
Keywords: Chocolate, Cookie