Egg & Mango Chutney Flatbread is fiery and filling.With just five-ingredients, it’s great for any time of day. Quick homemade flatbread is combined with creamy yogurt, perfectly fried eggs, sweet mango chutney and spicy red chili. This combination is totally awesome.
Are you on a new year’s resolution healthy eating kick right now? I probably should be, but I’ve had enough failure at this to know better. I’m learning to accept that I eat what I eat. I don’t have time for all the guilt that comes with dieting. You know I’m feeling guilty about plenty of other things. I’m letting this one go.
At the same time, I’m very pro fresh start. January is such a great opportunity to dig deep and make changes. One of the things I’ve been trying to change lately is the impact I make on the environment. I’m trying to waste less and also to consume more mindfully. I think we’ll be trying to eat less meat this year. But as a pathological vegetable hater, that can be tough.
Eggs are a great way to get your protein and also eat something really really good. Is there anything more dreamy than an oozing egg yolk. It’s like the most primordial indulgence.
This simple Egg & Mango Chutney Flatbread is adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe from his book 5 Ingredients. This book is nothing but super simple recipes, and the layout is gorgeous. I can’t wait to cook through some of these recipes.
We start by making a simple flatbread with self-rising flour and yogurt, working in a bit of oil if needed. Just mix everything together in a bowl, give it a few smooshes on the counter to bring it all together, roll it out and whack it in a hot pan. It cooks up in about three minutes.
I also prefer this dish when everything is warm, so I fried my eggs. Additionally, I microwaved the yogurt and mango chutney just for a few seconds so they weren’t fridge cold. But that’s totally up to you.
If you want some extra heat, bring the fire with some sliced red chili. Go for as much or as little as you can handle.
There are lots of different textures and flavors going on here. We couldn’t decide whether this dish was more breakfast or dinner, which says to me that you should eat it whenever the hell you want.
Here’s to a delicious year, friends.
Egg & Mango Chutney FlatbreadCourse: AnyCuisine: FusionDifficulty: Easy
100 grams self-rising flour
1/2 cup plain yogurt, divided
1/4 cup mango chutney
1 red chili, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for frying eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the self-rising flour, a pinch of salt, 1/4 cup of yogurt, and olive oil, stirring until it forms a dough. You may need to knead it on an oiled surface a few times to bring it all together.
- Divide your dough in half and roll each piece out to about 1/2 centimeter in a roughly oblong shape. Rustic is good here.
- Put a skillet over medium high heat. When it’s hot, put your dough into the pan, and cook for about a minute and a half per side or until they start to turn golden brown. Remove each flatbread to a separate plate.
- If you want your yogurt and mango chutney to be warm, scoop each one into a separate microwavable dish and microwave them for 10-20 seconds while your bread is cooking.
- Once your bread is done, drizzle some oil in your hot skillet, turn the heat down to medium, and crack your eggs into the pan and season as you like. Fry your eggs to your desired doneness.
- Spread your warmed yogurt onto each flatbread, then top that with two eggs a piece. Drizzle and plop your mango chutney over your eggs, and scatter with your sliced chilies.
- You could also make this with soft boiled or poached eggs. I just find frying the eggs to be easiest. Do what makes you happy.
***This post contains an affiliate link. That means that if you click it and buy something, I make a small commission, but you pay exactly the same.