Fig Jam and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese is a grown up version of everyone's crunchy, cheesy favorite. The sweet and smoky flavors marry perfectly in this quick and easy recipe. Serve it as a dipper with your favorite tomato soup.
Our little hurricane out here in the middle of the Pacific turned out to be a tropical storm which has done no more than dump rain on us for well over 24 consecutive hours with no promise of ceasing until the middle of the night. With temperatures hovering just around 80, I'm finally getting a hint of Autumn weather, and I'm absolutely loving it. I've been working overtime this week, so I'm thrilled to have an excuse to do absolutely nothing but take a nap and hang out in my kitchen all day.
I've always been a cheese lover, but lately I've been upping my cheese game. I've graduated to slightly more grown up cheeses and branched out to more sophisticated flavor combinations. Don't get me wrong. I'll still going to eat a box of Kraft mac and cheese, but when I can get my hands on flavors that are a bit more bold, I'm ready to jump right in.
What makes Fig Jam and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese so awesome?
This Fig Jam and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese is a bit more luxurious than a lot of the food you'll see here. The cheese and the jam together were about $12, which is a bit steep for just two ingredients in my opinion. Still, I felt it was okay to splurge this once, keeping in mind that I could have definitely spent $20 on just the cheese.
The smokey, creamy gouda and the subtly sweet fig jam go together beautifully. It's like putting Fall between two slices of buttery, crispy grilled bread. It's elegant, indulgent, and completely awesome. I feel like you could cut these sandwiches into triangles and serve them with wine (I know nothing about wine pairings, but I'd probably try a sauvignon blanc) at a party. It's like fancy kid food. It's pretty much where I'm at.
Up your grilled cheese game, put Fall on a plate, and make Fig Jam and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese.Print
Fig Jam and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese
Fig Jam and Smoked Gouda Grilled cheese combines smoky and sweet in the perfect, sophisticated yet fun little sandwich that's perfect for Fall.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 8
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons (enough to lightly cover both slices of bread) fig jam
- 3 slices (enough to cover one slice of bread) smoked gouda
- 1 tablespoon (enough to thinly cover two slices of bread) softened butter
- Preheat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Lay out your two slices of bread and spread a thin layer of fig jam on each slice. Add a layer of cheese and put the lid on your sandwich. Spread a thin layer of softened butter on the outside of the top slice of bread, and place the sandwich, butter side down in your hot pan. Add butter to the other piece of bread that's now on top, and cook on each side for three or four minutes or until your sandwich is a brown and crispy as you like.
- Slice your sandwich down the middle or in triangles to share.
Keywords: Cheese, Sandwich
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for more awesome recipe ideas.