Summer is heating up, so let's make Grilled Chicken Skewers with Chilli Mint Yogurt. Wrap them in a pita, add all your favorite toppings, and let the feast begin. This recipe is simple and packed with summery flavors. It's gonna be awesome.
I love my little urban apartment. It's a historic (by American standards) tenement flat with high ceilings and a working fireplace. I now literally have the kitchen of my dreams, and the final room is going to be renovated later this year. It's spacious with lots of natural light. We're in an ideal location about a half hour's walk from the city centre with lots of great local shops, restaurants, and cafes. It's my personal sanctuary, and I love it.
The only downside to urban living is that we don't have any outdoor space. We have a shared garden, but it's really just a drab patch of grass and not ideal for entertaining. And I'm way too lazy to haul a portable grill up and down four flights of stairs every time I want to cook outside. Maybe I just need to get over myself and find a way to make the most of what I've got. That would almost be too easy.
What makes Grilled Chicken Skewers so awesome?
If I had a gorgeous backyard, I'd definitely invite you over for some Grilled Chicken Skewers with Chilli Mint Yogurt. I cooked these on a grill pan in the kitchen, and they were still awesome, so if you're an urban dweller like me or just get a craving for grilled chicken in the middle of winter, these are totally doable. The chicken is marinated in lemon, oregano, and chilli flakes then threaded on skewers for quick grilling.
My favorite part is the sauce. It's just yogurt with some green onion, garlic, jalapeno, and fresh mint. I don't use mint very often in savoury cooking, but I found it lent a bright earthiness here that was surprisingly delicious. You could serve these in a pita or on grilled flatbread. Load it up with your favorite toppings and go to town.
How to make Grilled Chicken Skewers
There's no big secret here. Chop up your chicken into bite size pieces and add it to a bowl. Season it with salt and pepper, then sprinkle over some dried oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Finally, stir in some lemon juice and olive oil. You can do this a couple of hours ahead of time and stash it in the fridge. If that's not convenient, just let it sit on the counter for about fifteen minutes while you heat up the grill. Science has proven that marinating doesn't actually do that much to flavor meat anyway, so it's fine.
How to make Chilli Mint Yogurt
This sauce is literally just dump and stir. Add some yogurt to a bowl, de-seed and chop your favorite chilli (I used a red jalapeno), scissor in some green onion, and use your zester to grate in some garlic. Finally, use your scissors again to snip in a few fresh mint leaves. Mint can be strong, so start with just a little, then taste it and add more if you think you'd like it. Just stir it all together and stash it in the fridge until you're ready to eat.
Make it magical
Mint is so great for kitchen magick. Some sources may give you slight variations based on the specific type of mint. I associate mint with prosperity and abundance. Think of the way it grows, expanding enthusiastically to take over your whole yard if you let it. It's also associated with purification and healing. A mint plant can help clear negative energy out of your space. (Source: Practical Magic for Beginners by Maggie Haseman)
Bring those summer vibes into your life any way you can. Making Grilled Chicken Skewers with Chilli Mint Yogurt seems like a great place to start. It'll be awesome.Print
Grilled Chicken Skewers with Chilli Mint Yogurt
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
For the chicken:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
For the Chilli Mint Yogurt:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno or other chilli pepper (red or green), chopped small
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Chop your chicken into chunks and add it to a mixing bowl. Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and dried oregano and give it a stir. Then add in the lemon juice and olive oil and stir again to coat all the chicken pieces. You can do this ahead of time and put the chicken in the fridge for a few hours or just leave it to marinate on the counter while you heat up your grill and make your yogurt sauce.
- To make the chili mint yogurt, simply add the yogurt to a small mixing bowl and add your green onions, jalapeno, garlic, and fresh mint. Fold this all together with a spoon or spatula and stash it in the fridge until you're ready to eat.
- When you're ready to cook your chicken, thread your chicken pieces on to skewers, leaving a sliver of space between each piece to allow the chicken to cook more evenly. Place your skewers on a hot grill and cook for about three minutes on each side. Allow the chicken to rest for about five minutes before serving.
- Serve this with pita or flatbread, your favorite chopped veg, and plenty of that spicy, herby chilli mint yogurt.
Keywords: Grilled Chicken
Recipe adapted from How to Eat by Nigella Lawson.
Don't forget to leave a rating and a comment to let other readers know you loved this recipe. Thanks so much!