Ham and Potato Soup is creamy, cozy, and delicious. It’s an excellent way to use up any leftover ham. Make a big pot of this easy recipe any time you want to feel warm and happy.
I have given in to everyone’s Christmas decoration content on Instagram just a tiny bit. I haven’t put up my decorations yet, and we get a real tree, so it would just be a terrible idea to do that so soon. The day after this post goes live, an entire brand new kitchen’s worth of stuff is going to be delivered and somehow stored in my two bedroom apartment before the builder gets to work on Monday. So no, we’re not decorating until all that is over.
But I did start listening to Christmas music the other day. It was just the right touch of holiday joy. And even though technically Thanksgiving has only been over for a minute, we celebrated early here, so it’s free game. I’m very much into the jazzy, crooner Christmas music, but my husband is British and loves the poppy stuff. It’s a constant dilema. Either way, it just makes me smile.
What makes Ham and Potato Soup so awesome?
You know what else makes me smile? A big fat pot of soup. One that I know will last us for a couple of days and just get better every time. This Ham & Potato Soup is coming to you the day after Thanksgiving in case you live in a place that makes ham at Thanksgiving or to be there for you when the moment comes that you never want to eat turkey again.
Whenever you need it, it will delight and fortify you this bleak winter. Big chunks of potato and ham are simmered with onion and carrot in your favorite stock. Then we basically make a cream sauce to thicken the whole thing and make it super creamy. Is it too much? Absolutely not. It’s everything the winter of 2020 needs.
And don’t forget the toppings. I like to add plenty of cheddar cheese and a scattering of chopped fresh chives. I’m telling you, I can’t get enough. Serve it with some crusty bread for a perfect dinner. Eat salad if you must.
When I go to bed on Thanksgiving, I always think I’ll never eat again, but I inevitably wake up hungry. Ham and Potato Soup is what I want. I know you’ll love it, too.Print
Ham and Potato Soup
Ham and Potato Soup is creamy, cozy, and delicious. Make a big pot of this easy recipe any time you want to feel warm and happy.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 5 Yukon Gold Potatoes or other starchy potatoes, chopped into one inch cubes
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 3–1/2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste (I like a lot of pepper)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half or single cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- cheddar cheese and chives for garnish
- Add vegetables and ham to chicken stock in a medium pot. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Season to taste.
- In the meantime, melt butter over medium low heat in a small sauce pan. Add flour and whisk to combine. Allow this mixture to cook for about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in milk and half and half, then add garlic powder. Allow this mixture to come to a boil then reduce to a simmer until it thickens.
- Once the potatoes are soft, add the milk mixture to the pot and stir to combine. Check for seasoning, and let this all cook together for a couple more minutes.
- Top with cheddar cheese and green onions, and serve with crusty bread.
Keywords: Ham, Potato, Soup