Herbs and botanicals can help you boost your psychic powers. I've got 13 herbs for divination that will help you enhance your connection to Spirit.
Divination is the practice of connecting to the divine in order to seek guidance. It's most commonly associated with predicting the future, but I believe that divination can be used to seek any type of guidance or connection from the spirit realm. Whether you are tuning into your higher self, spirit guides, departed ancestors, or Source energy, various divinatory practice can help you see your path more clearly.
My personal favorite type of divination is cartomancy. In fact, I'm also a tarot reader and spiritual coach. But beyond tarot and oracle cards, there are countless methods for seeking that spiritual connection. Divination practices include things like the pendulum, rune casting, reading tea leaves, scrying, and even prophetic dreams.
No matter what type of divination you're practicing, you can include herb magick in your practice to enhance your psychic abilities. These herbs can give a boost to your perceptions, opening up the third eye to help you better understand the messages you're receiving from the spirit realm.
13 top divination herbs
These are just some of the herbs that can boost your psychic power. It's hardly a complete list, but this is a great place to start. I bet you already have some of these herbs at home. And just a reminder, witches tend to use the term herb to refer to all types and parts of a plant.
- Honeysuckle - This plant is connected to liminal spaces. Pick the flowers in the evening to heighten your psychic awareness.
- Rowan - Also known as witchwood, this tree can help improve psychic powers and aid in divination.
- Pansy - This flower is good for divination and communication, so use it when you're hoping to enhance your communication with the spirit realm.
- Rose - Can be used for divination and boosting psychic ability and spiritual growth.
- Bay leaf - Used to enhance divination and bring prophetic dreams.
- Calendula - Can increase psychic abilities and brings peace and harmony.
- Mugwort - This herb helps to open your mind for all types of divination and spiritual connection.
- Vervain - Also known as enchanter's herb, this plant can aid in divination by inducing inspiration and tranquility.
- Dandelion - Closely tied to the Sun, the dandelion root can shine a light on your divination practice.
- Star Anise - This spice is known to open the third eye, aid in astral travel, and increase your psychic powers.
- Benzoin - Particularly useful in cartomancy when working with tarot or angel cards.
- Cinnamon - Increases psychic awareness and connection to Spirit.
- Damiana - Burn this herb to open psychic portals.
How to use your herbs for divination
Once you've obtained your herbs, you then need to decide how you'd like to use them. Combine your herbs with the four elements of earth, air, fire, and water to enhance their energy. There are probably as many spells you could use as there are types of divination, but these are a great place to start.
Before you eat, drink, soak in, or inhale any plant materials, be sure you know what you're working with and that it's safe to consume.
- Tea magick - Do your research to make sure the herbs you are using are safe for consumption, but mixing up a divination tea blend with things like mugwort, rose, or cinnamon can help set the mood.
- Incense blends - Create your own loose incense by grinding dry herbs and resins in a mortar and pestle and sprinkling the mixture on a charcoal disc.
- Bath magick - Create an herbal infusion then allow yourself to soak in the herbs' energy. This will both cleanse your energy and help you enter a relaxed, meditative state.
- Dream pillow - Sew herbs into a bit of fabric, then sleep with them under your pillow. This is great for enhancing prophetic dreams.
Divination herb recipes for kitchen witches
Of course, my favorite spells are always ones you can eat. While not all of the divination herbs mentioned above are common kitchen herbs, some can be cooked or baked into something truly delicious to enjoy while practicing your divinatory arts.
- Rose Quartz Cocktail - Sip this as you shuffle your cards or gaze into your magic mirror, and bring a little self-love to the party.
- Chocolate Cinnamon Cake - A heavenly, light cake to lift you to the spirit realm.
- Cinnamon Whole Wheat Pancakes with Blackberry Brown Butter Syrup - The blackberries add an element of protection to your spell.
- Mini Chocolate Cinnamon Croissants - Perfect for sharing with other diviners.
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls - The sacred spiral will lead you to the heart of the matter.
- Black Bean Soup - Drop a bay leaf into your soup pot for spiritual guidance.
I hope you'll incorporate some of these herbs for divination into your next scrying or crystal gazing session. Brew yourself a pot of magic tea before you pick up your tarot cards or cast your runes. Herbs are such a beautiful enhancement to any magical practice.
Let me know how you use herbs to enhance your divination practice. Leave a comment below or reach out on Instagram. And be sure to let me know if you have any questions.