Lemon & Ginger Bars add a touch of heat to this sweet and sour classic treat. The crust is studded with bits of stem ginger and the filling is creamy, smooth and lemony. This bar recipe is so easy, you’ve simply gotta make them.
My favorite thing about holiday parties is getting to see all my friends and co-workers get all dressed up. Everyone looks so beautiful, so dashing, so sparkly in their holiday best. People are brimming with confidence instead f frantically running from one task to the next, shoving a sandwich in their face on the way to the car. We all know that appearance isn’t what really counts, but there’s no denying that when you feel like you look great, the whole world suddenly becomes a bit more awesome.
I made these Lemon & Ginger Bars for my co-workers last week. They flipped out. I guess lemon bars aren’t really a thing in Scotland, but I’m guessing they should be. At least three people said they were the best thing I’ve made so far. I know for a fact one person had at least three pieces.
The lemon layer is luscious with just the right balance of sweet and tart, but it’s the crust that really shines here. Buttery shortbread is laced with ground ginger, and then flecks of crystalized ginger are pressed right into the crust before it bakes. It’s heavenly.
I hope you get to put on your fanciest clothes, get your hair done, look your best, and celebrate the season with the awesomest people you know. I hope you make Lemon & Ginger Bars and make a lot of those awesome people happy.Print
Lemon & Ginger Bars
A luscious lemon layer tops a ginger-infused shortbread crust to make the best Lemon & Ginger Bars ever.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 15 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
For the crust
- 55 grams (1/2 cup) powdered sugar
- 215 grams (1–1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 170 grams (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 inch ginger root, grated
- 60 grams crystallized ginger, chopped
For the filling
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 400 grams (2 cups) sugar
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 6 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and butter and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, flour, and salt. Add the butter and grated ginger and mix with an electric mixture until a smooth dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the pan.Scatter the crystallized ginger pieces over the dough and gently press them in.
- Cover the dough with parchment paper to keep it from over browning, then bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown.
For the filling
- While the crust is cooking, whisk together the flour, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolk, and salt. Add the eggs to the lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Once the crust is done, remove the parchment and pour the lemon mixture into the pan while it’s still hot.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300F (150C) and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until there’s only a hint of a wobble in the middle.
- Allow the bars to cool completely on a wire rack, and then refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight before slicing and eating and blowing minds.
Keywords: Lemon, Ginger, Bars
Looking for more awesome lemony treats? Try this Pink Lemonade Fudge.