Lemon Polenta Cake has great texture and a bright lemony flavor. It’s soaked in a lemon syrup, so it stays moist for days. Plus, it’s gluten-free. You’re gonna love it.
When we moved into this flat, it was with the promise that we could completely redesign the kitchen. In fact, I believe I was promised the kitchen of my dreams. And while our kitchen is spacious, it is far from dreamlike. We may have the stupidest oven ever sold.
My oven has four stops on the “settings” dial. There’s off, obviously, followed by the first click that turns the oven light off. The oven light does not work (insert face palm emoji). Then there’s the click to turn on the bottom AND the top heating element. And finally top only. Does anyone else see something missing? I can’t turn off my top heating element in my oven. Basically everything I put in there is getting broiled. I have to cook everything on the bottom rack to keep it from over-browning. Often, as is the case with this particular cake. I am not successful.
And yet I’m sharing it with you today anyway because this blog has always been about finding the awesome in the everyday and making the most of what you got. And I still couldn’t get Geoff to stop eating two pieces a day, so I can confirm that it tasted absolutely amazing.
What makes Lemon Polenta Cake so awesome?
Lemon Polenta Cake is naturally gluten-free as it’s made with ground almonds and cornmeal. And of course there’s plenty of lemony-ness both in the cake and in the lemon syrup you drown this cake in to make it not just moist but damp for days. You won’t want to stop eating.
Some people have perfect kitchens. Some people… don’t. We all deserve great cake. This Lemon Polenta Cake is where it’s at.Print
Lemon Polenta Cake
Lemon Polenta Cake is soaked in a tangy lemon syrup that makes this gluten-free cake awesome for days.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Diet: Gluten Free
for the cake
- 200 grams unsalted butter, room temp
- 200 grams sugar
- 200 grams ground almonds
- 100 grams cornmeal
- 1–1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- zest of 2 lemons
for the syrup
- juice of 2 lemons
- 125 grams powdered sugar
for the cake
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment, and grease the sides with butter
- Preheat your oven to 350F/175C.
- With a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Combine the almonds, cornmeal, and baking powder in a separate bowl, then mix a third of the mixture into the butter and sugar. Add an egg and combine. Continue alternating dry ingredients and eggs until everything is combined.
- Finally mix in the lemon zest.
- Transfer the batter to your pan and bake for 40 minutes until the edges start to pull away from the pan.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
for the syrup
- In a small saucepan, boil the lemon juice and powdered sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- With a toothpick, prick tiny holes in your cake, then pour the syrup over the cake and let it sink in.
- Once cool, remove the collar from your pan. Serve a big wedge and experience pure joy.
Keywords: Lemon, Cake, Gluten-Free
Looking for more awesome lemon cake recipes? Try this Lemon Loaf Cake.