Made with chilli and cinnamon, these Mexican Brownies have a bit of a kick. Use your favorite chilli-infused chocolate bar to make this thick, fudgy brownie recipe.
Yesterday was our anniversary. I put on my wedding dress and we went to a nice restaurant where I drank wine and ate as much cheese as I damn well pleased. We even ordered dessert. People looked at me like I was crazy. I did not care. I’m 36 years old. I’ve been weird the whole time. I’m used to it.
I currently have purple hair. I work in a homeless shelter. I have pet chickens. I lived in Taiwan for two years. I’ve been on an insane “watch everything Star Trek” quest for the past year. I take photos of my food on my kid’s bed. There’s is no denying it. I’m a weird kid through and through.
Brownies are not weird, but Mexican Brownies with chili and cinnamon are potentially slightly less than normal. You know what else they are? Awesome.
I got a bar of chocolate infused with chili as a gift from one of my volunteers. I thought of eating it immediately, but for once, I showed some restraint and saved it for you guys. I replaced some of the chocolate in a basic brownie recipe with the chocolate from that bar, and enhanced the awesomeness with some ground cayenne and cinnamon.
The result is a chewy brownie with a hint of heat and that little something extra that cinnamon adds to chocolate. It will take a moment before you even realize that you’re eating something a little, well, weird. Then you’ll embrace the weirdness and be happy because you’re eating a super tasty, slightly spicy, chocorific brownie.
Make Mexican Brownies. Be weird. Be awesomePrint
Mexican Brownies have a little bit of heat, a hint of cinnamon, and a whole lot of chocolate.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 24 brownies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 bar chocolate with chili
- 2.5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or enough to equal six ounces after the bar of chocolate
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1–1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- In a large pan, melt butter and chocolate over medium low heat stirring frequently.
- While you’re waiting this to melt, measure out and combine the remaining ingredients, except for the eggs.
- Once the butter and chocolate are melted and smooth, remove from heat. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each egg in completely before adding the next. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour the batter into your waiting pan and spread evenly. Bake for 18-20 minutes. If you let them cool completely, they’ll be easier to cut. If you can’t wait that, I won’t judge you.
Keywords: Brownies, Chilli, Chocolate