The beginning of a moon cycle of full of potential. I've got 3 easy new moon rituals for you to help you make the most of this fresh, clear energy. These are perfect for beginners or great to add to a more seasoned practice.
Working with the moon is a pillar of my witchcraft practice. I check in on her progress every day using various apps and spend time observing her light whenever I can. As an urban witch who lives in a very rainy environment, it always feels like a special treat to get a clear view of her radiance.
When I started learning about witchcraft, moon magic was one of the first paths I explored. There was just something in me that understood inherently that this was how time was meant to be measured. Not by clocks and calendars, but by the sun, the moon, and the stars. I let the moon's eight phases guide me each lunar month to organise both magical and mundane aspects of my life.
What is the significance of the new moon phase?
Astronomically speaking, the new moon is the phase when the sun and moon are conjunct or in alignment in the sky. The sun's light is reflected away from the earth off the moon's surface, so we can't see it. Furthermore, the moon is in the sky during the day, so the nights are much darker with her brilliant light shining down on us.
As witches, we associate the new moon with new beginnings. This is sometimes also called the dark moon in some practices. It's a time for purification and preparation. It's a low energy phase where lots of rest is still needed, but it can also be a time to dream about what comes next. Think of the new moon as a blank page, full of potential, ready to become whatever you want it to be.
You can use the energy of this moon to start new projects, set intentions, or initiate energy. It's ideal for refreshing any ongoing projects or manifestations as well. There doesn't have to be something brand new with each new moon. You can just make adjustment to ongoing work if needed. If you work continuous spells, such as a money bowl, the new moon would be a great time to refresh and feed it. You may also want to revisit your vision board and make adjustments.
My favorite of the new moon rituals is intention setting. This is usually the focus on my magical working at this time of the lunar month. I love to sit down with my journal and describe what I want to be, do, and have in the coming month. I use that brainstorming to distill down my intention to a single affirmation statement that becomes my guiding light for the entire month.
For your own intention setting ritual, try this.
- Take some time to journal or visualise how you want the next month to look. What are the predominate feelings that come up for you?
- Distill your intention into a single, affirmative sentence. Your intention is about how you want to feel or who you want to become. It is not a list of goals or tasks (you can do that separately). So try to get one positive statement that describes the essence of the energy you want to create.
- Write your intention or the keywords on a bay leaf. Hold the leaf and charge it with the energy of your intention.
- Use a candle, match, or lighter to set you bay leaf on fire. Make sure you have a fireproof dish nearby to drop the leaf into. As it burns, imagine the energy of your intention being carried away to the Universe to begin manifesting in the spiritual realm.
- Close your ritual with words of thanks for what is on its way to you, believing fully that your intention is in the process of becoming your reality.
I like to start each lunar cycle with fresh, clean energy. This is a great time for energetic cleansing of yourself, your home, and your magical tools. For tips on energy cleansing check out Witchcraft Spells for Beginners - Cleansing. And while you've definitely heard of saging, there are actually numerous herbs that can be used for clearing negative or stagnant energy. I've got 13 magical herbs or cleansing to get you started.
Another of my usual new moon rituals I always perform is a cleansing shower or bath spell using my homemade salt scrub. Here's what you'll do.
- Select the essential oils and herbs you want to incorporate into your salt scrub, along with the other ingredients and tools you'll need. Cleanse your ingredients in your favorite way. I like to use incense or a bell.
- Mix up your salt scrub, focusing on the feeling you want to create in the coming moon cycle. Once all your ingredients are in the jar, seal it and give it a good shake to mix and activate the energy.
- Place a candle (choose a color that reflects your intention) on top of or next to your jar and light it to charge your spell. You can also create a crystal grid around your jar to add extra energy, Again, choose crystals that reflect your individual intention.
- When you're ready for your shower or bath, gently rub the salt on your skin, asking it to cleanse you of any stale or stagnant energy. As you rinse it away with the hot water, call in the energy you want to cultivate in the coming month. Imagine any unhelpful energy being washed down the drain and carried away.
New Moon Divination
Remember that the moon is a powerful symbol of the divine feminine and our connection to our intuition. If you're feeling stuck or uncertain about the intentions you want to set for yourself, use the new moon energy to help guide you with a bit of new moon divination.
Water scrying during the darkest time of the month can be very powerful. Simply pour some water into a bowl or other container. Something with a dark surface will be more reflective. Light some candles and incense to set the mood if you like. Then relax your mind, breathe deeply, and gaze into the water. You may not literally see a glimpse of your future like they do in the movies, but the meditative state you enter will help you connect to your own intuition, allowing the messages to come through more clearly.
I also love a good tarot reading. Every month, I use my own moon magic journal prompts over on Sagittarian Tarot as a spread for tarot or oracle cards. A simple spread like the one below can be used at the start of every lunar cycle to help you focus on your next right step.
- What does the Universe want from me right now?
- What should I focus my energy?
- What possibilities need to be explored?
Draw a card for each question and let the cards be the voice of the Universe, giving you direction on how to move forward.
May your new moon rituals be filled with magic
These are just a few examples of new moon rituals to help you focus your magic. How do you like to honor this moon phase? Let me know in the comments.
To learn more about working with the moon, check out these resources:
- How to work with the moon's energy to get things done
- 8 moon phases podcast episode
- How to work with the moon free ebook
- Moon Magic Guidance from Sagittarian Tarot
- 13 Powerful Full Moon Affirmations
And if you absolutely love these new moon rituals and want to make this a regular part of your practice, be sure to check out my Moon Magic Membership over on Sagittarian Tarot. You'll receive journal prompts, a guided meditation, and tarot guidance for each full and new moon, and that's just the beginning.