Beltane is a celebration of the height of spring filled with fire and passion. Create a feast to honor that energy with these 100 recipes to celebrate Beltane. Give thanks for the bright half of the year. It's gonna be awesome.
I had so much fun creating my recipe list for Ostara, that I thought we'd do the same again with some recipes to celebrate Beltane. I think people found it helpful, so maybe we'll go through the entire wheel of the year. If you've been following along, you'll see some of the same recipes and ingredients in this list. We're still in spring, so we're still celebrating many of the same types of foods.
And once again, we've got simple, approachable, real life recipes that are magical because you make them so. Everything vibrates, even if you get it from the grocery store. Your job is to tap into the energy, add your own, and share it with the ones you love.
What is Beltane?
Beltane, usually celebrated on May 1st, marks the halfway point between spring and summer. In some traditions, it signals the beginning of the light half of the year, with Samhain on October 31st tipping us back into the dark half. May is my favorite time of year in Scotland. You can definitely sense why the Celtic people who once lived here found it magical.
You may know Beltane as May Day, a celebration of flowers and dancing around a May pole. This turn of the wheel of the year has many names around the world, but whatever you call it, take a moment to give thanks for the abundant life that is beginning to spring forth from the Earth.
The two major aspects of this sabbat are fire and fertility. Many people will have a bonfire to symbolize the return of the sun. Jumping over the fire is an old tradition that brings good fortune. And for Beltane, we're talking about literal fertility here. Some research suggests people were getting busy in their fields to ensure an abundant harvest. You celebrate as you like. Whether it's fire or sex, be safe.
But every sabbat is worthy of a feast, so let's get into the food. Here are 100 awesome recipes to help you celebrate Beltane.
Cooking with fire
Since fire is such an important symbol of this day, it's the perfect time to clean off your grill and cook over a live flame. You can cook your whole feast this way, or just roast marshmallows over your bonfire. It's all delicious. You can also call in some fire energy with spicy ingredients like jalapenos and hot sauce.
- Vegetarian Jalapeno Poppers - While these are cooked in an oven, I know for a fact they're awesome for a barbecue.
- Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels - Spicy chicken and cheese wrapped in a sacred spiral of pastry.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Burgers - Cook them on your grill then top them with fiery chili jam.
- Spicy Alfredo Sauce - Add a big pinch of fire with crushed red pepper flakes.
- Eggs in Purgatory - Poach your eggs in a chili-infused tomato sauce.
- Jalapeno Cream Cheese Stuffed Burgers - An extra bit of magic is hiding inside.
- Turkish Eggs - Possibly my new favorite breakfast dish with plenty of intense fire energy and the fertility power of eggs.
- Spicy Cheese Fries - If you're going to be making burgers, you just have to.
- Mexican Lasagna - Layers of tomatoes, corn, chilies, and cheese.
- Jalapeno Deviled Eggs - Combine fire and fertility with a twist on a classic.
- Easy Cheesy Stuffed Peppers - Rice brings prosperity, and the colors from the bell peppers evoke the sun.
- Cuban Burgers - These burgers go on the grill twice, so they've extra loaded with fire energy.
- Cayenne Candied Bacon - A sweet and spicy breakfast treat.
- Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers - My husband's personal favorite.
- Buffalo Deviled Eggs - This version also has blue cheese to go with the fire power.
- Spicy Mashed Potato Patties - With chopped jalapenos and green onions, this is perfect for using up leftovers.
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos - Add fresh green onions and cilantro to make it more seasonal.
Every witch knows the power of herbs, and they're especially abundant at this time of year. Use what's in season. Ever-fertile mint is especially symbolic at Beltane, but basil, chives, dill, oregano, rosemary, sage, and parsley are also great to cook with.
- Chicken & Goat Cheese Pasta - The fresh rosemary is the best part.
- Garlic & Herb Focaccia Bread - Fresh bread baked in a hot oven is also symbolic for Beltane.
- Smoked Cheddar & Sage Biscuits - Protection is baked right in.
- Rosemary Potato Rolls - It'll be the best thing on your dinner plate.
- Lavender Cake - This pretty little loaf cake is full of Spring energy.
- Lemon Garlic Pasta - A super simple meatless pasta dish full of protection.
- Mint Brownies - Chocolate is full of love magic.
- Mint Limeade - Keep cool and call in abundance.
- Roasted Tomato & Mozzarella Salad - With a fresh basil viniagrette.
- Chicken & Potato Bake - With fresh rosemary and lemon.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies - Your old favorite with some prosperity magic thrown in.
- Italian Panissa Rice & Beans - A tomato and barlotti bean rice dish with fresh rosemary.
- Grasshopper Pie - Okay, the mint is in the booze, but that's totally fine.
- Chocolate Mint Cupcakes - These also contain ground almonds for fertility.
- Herbed Biscuits & Creamy Sausage Gravy - Wake up and be happy on Beltane.
With any sabbat feast, you only need to look to what Mother Earth is offering to know what to cook. Many spring vegetables also have associations with fertility. Of course, what's in season will vary by region, and new world foods may not show up in traditional lists of Beltane correspondences because ancient Celts had never heard of tomatoes, so use your common sense. And if you live in the Southern Hemisphere, be sure to pin this list for reference in six months. Here, we're looking at spring greens, spinach, peas, new potatoes, carrots, etc.
- Mexican Spinach Dip - Also full of fire energy from your favorite salsa.
- Spinach Alfredo Mac & Cheese - Cheese is filled with happy energy.
- Indian Spiced Pea & Potato Wraps - Bring some spice to your Beltane party.
- Crispy Honey Chicken - The sweet attraction power of honey is perfect for Beltane, plus, there's a bit of a fiery kick.
- Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Shells - Let the pasta shells represent the element of water.
- Bacon Goat Cheese & Green Onion Biscuits - Do green onions remind you of anything?
- Corn & Green Onion Biscuits - Corn has some serious fertility energy.
- Spinach & Cheese Baked Eggs - Add some eggs for some fertility magic.
- Za'atar Potato Salad - The oregano in the za'atar is great for creativity and happiness.
- Maple Glazed Carrots - Sometimes a carrot is just a carrot, but sometimes it's a fertility symbol.
- Chickpea & Spinach Curry - Curry is also a Beltane correspondence.
- Creamy Garlic Spinach Dip - Call in prosperity and protection.
- Fiery Halloumi Salad - Cook your cheese on the grill and bring some extra fire with a homemade sweet chilli sauce made with honey.
- Grilled Potato Foil Packets with Lemon Dill Creme Fraiche - These can be cooked in the oven or on the grill.
- Carrot Ginger Orange Mimosa - Full of fiery energy first thing in the morning.
- Orzo with Bacon & Peas - Peas are said to bring luck in love and business.
Seasonal Fruits & Berries
Berries, with their many seeds, are ideal for fertility magic. They're also just starting to show up around Beltane in some parts of the world. Bananas are still in season, and there's no doubt about their fertility magic. As modern witches, we have access to pretty much any food we want any day of the year. If you can buy fresh fruit from a local grower, I think the Earth would be grateful.
- Chocolate Banana Muffins - It's a sexy day, these are sexy ingredients. Get into it.
- Strawberry Soju Slushie - For my Korean witches.
- Blackcurrant & Lemon Cocktail - A sweet cocktail with a beautiful spring color.
- Jam Tarts - Fill these sweet little pies with your favorite berry jams.
- Strawberry Basil & Lemon Infused Water - Stay hydrated and stay abundant.
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie - Wake up to a tall glass of fertility.
- Raspberry Cooler - Every feast needs a hot pink cocktail.
- Brie & Blackberry Grilled Cheese - A delicious sandwich full of fertility energy.
- Raspberry Margarita - Bring some love to the party with some raspberry energy.
- Homemade Blueberry Muffins - Call in peace and calm with some blueberry energy.
- Brie Grilled Cheese with Ham & Cherry Jam - This sandwich has cherry jam for love.
- Cherry Berry Cocktail - With its stone at the center and its beautiful red color, cherries are beautiful for prosperity magick.
- Italian Cream Sodas - Choose a fruit syrup to match your vibe.
- Pimm's & Cherry Lemonade - Add fruits and herbs that suit your intention.
- Kir Royale - Add raspberry liqueur to a glass of champagne before you go a-Maying.
- Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad - It doesn't get more seasonal than this.
Lemon & Citrus
While some sources list lemon as corresponding with the moon, I think there's nothing sunnier and more springlike than a big bowl of citrus fruits. They have all the colors of the season, so I think they deserve a place at your Beltane table. Plus they bring cleansing, energy and lots of joy.
- Brazilian Sunrise Cocktail - To honor the sun, of course.
- Citrus Bundt Cake - Sugar is a great ingredient for attraction.
- 5 Minute Microwave Lemon Cake - For when you need to summon the sunshine in a hurry.
- Satsuma & Dark Chocolate Brioche - This sweet and buttery bread is awesome on its own or as French toast.
- Lemon Loaf Cake - This sunny cake does lemon three ways.
- Lemon & Thyme Pound Cake - In case you need a little courage.
- Lemon Meringue Fool - Just a few ingredients and a few minutes to something sweet and tasty.
- Lemon & Ginger Bars - Bring the fire with some crystalized ginger.
- Lemon Risotto - Stir in all your wishes for the season.
- Crunchy Lemon Chicken - Coated in corn flakes for extra fertility energy.
- Citrus Cocktail Cupcakes - Booze and cake together for a totally good time.
- Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Orange Frosting - It's got a beautiful, orange, sunny slice of fruit right in the middle.
- Chocolate Orange Mousse - This cheater technique is super easy to make.
- Orange & Amaretto Cider - Almonds hold sun energy, and apples bring fertility.
- Cinnamon Pull-Apart Cake with Lemon Glaze - Cinnamon is great for prosperity and ruled by fire.
- Santa Lucia Mocktail - With flavors of citrus and peach to keep you refreshed.
- Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes - Poppyseeds can help you get a good night's sleep which you might need after this stimulating festival.
A few more just for fun
There were just a few more recipes that I thought would be really great. Bees are an important symbol of the season, so we've got some honey. And I've also included some recipes that honor Sun corresponded foods like corn, almonds, and pineapples. And of course, a few recipes that just feel super sexy.
- Buttery Nipple Milkshake - It's a little bit naughty and very delicious.
- Amaretto Sour - A potent and sunny mix of almond liqueur and lemon juice.
- Rose Quartz Cocktail - A floral-inspired cocktail that doubles as a love spell.
- Sex on the Beach - A cocktail with citrus and pineapple, very sunny.
- Vegan Sweet Corn & Roasted Bell Pepper Soup - The original recipe this is based on is actually called sunshine soup.
- Better than Sex Cupcakes - How could I resist?
- Spiced Honey Vodka - A sweet and spice-infused sippable spirit.
- Goat Cheese Crostini with Macadamia Nuts & Honey - Sweeten any spell with a bit of honey.
- Mexican Mac & Cheese - Some spicy fire energy plus sun-loving corn.
- Gammon Steak with Pineapple Salsa - Sunny pineapple plus fresh mint and spicy jalapenos over ham or gammon.
- Cheddar Corn Soup - Corn plus a hit of spice from chili-infused cheese.
- Vanilla Lemonade - Vanilla is great for passion.
- Honey Whole Wheat Pancakes - Say thank you to the bees by making sure your honey is sustainable.
- Jalapeno Hush Puppies - A hit of fire energy in these delicious, crispy corn fritters.
- Vanilla Ginger Mojitos - Made with sexy vanilla and ginger plus lots of fresh mint.
- Cheddar Habanero Cornbread - This recipe has some serious fire energy.
- One Pot Lemon & Ricotta Pasta - With fresh basil, brie, and fresh corn.
Whether you’re celebrating with your family or your coven, this turn of the wheel of the year is filled with fire and fun. If you make one of these recipes to celebrate Beltane, I’d love to see it. Share your photos on Instagram, and hashtag them #awesomeon20. And be sure to check out our podcast episode all about Beltane for more information and ideas.
And be sure to check my Kitchen Magick page for specific correspondences of various ingredients.
Beltane blessings to you, friends. Make it awesome.