Whether you call it Litha, Midsummer, or Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year is certainly worth celebrating. I've got 100 awesome recipes to celebrate Litha in the most delicious way.
If you're anywhere in the Northern hemisphere, you can't help but notice that nature is bursting with life at the moment. Trees are full of green leaves, plants and flowers are overflowing in gardens, and the first herbs and vegetables are ready to be harvested. Litha is all about honoring the Sun and the abundance it provides. We're definitely spoiled for choice for this sabbat feast. Let's get into it.
What is Litha?
Litha is the turn in the Wheel of the Year that celebrates the summer solstice. This sabbat is all about honoring the sun and the abundance of the natural world. Many witches believe that Midsummer is the most powerful time to gather any botanicals as they are at the height of their energy at this time of year. Litha is celebrated with both fire and water, as this is also the start of Cancer season which is a water sign and the only sign ruled by the moon. You could definitely work with the energy of both elements in your celebration.
For a Litha feast, we'll obviously want to work in as many fresh herbs as possible. Remember that each one has its own individual magical properties, so call on those as needed. Fruits and vegetables are also abundant for this feast. I've also called in some sun colors with red and orange foods. Cinnamon is ruled by the sun, so it's definitely invited to the party. And this is the perfect time to cook with fire. Finally, we'll bring in some honey to celebrate all the flowers in bloom at this time of year. Let the feast begin.
Cooking with herbs
As mentioned, Midsummer is the optimal time for collecting botanicals for witchcraft. As modern witches, we may not be able to wander the woods naked picking baskets full of herbs, but we can still work them into our practice in whatever way is accessible.
- Lemongrass Gin Cocktail - Lemongrass has a beautiful scent and cleansing properties.
- Garlic & Herb Focaccia Bread - It's so flavorful with lots of fresh parsley and thyme, I almost don't want to eat anything else.
- Smoked Cheddar & Sage Biscuits - Clear away negative energy and eat something delicious.
- Garlic & Thyme Baked Camembert - Just four ingredients, it's about the simplest dish you could ask for.
- Whipped Ricotta - Weave a spell by sprinkling over whatever herbs feel right to you.
- Lemon Garlic Pasta - This meatless dish is made with lots of fresh parsley.
- Mint Brownies - Bold mint flavored is sandwiched between two layers of chocolate, which can only be awesome.
- Lemon & Thyme Pound Cake - This beautiful cake is infused with the courage energy of fresh thyme.
- Mint Limeade - This is a simple money spell, so drink deep.
- Za'atar Potato Salad - Made with a delicious Middle Eastern herb blend, it's bound to become a favorite.
- Roasted Tomato & Mozzarella Salad - Made with a fresh basil viniagrette, it's got gorgeous sun colors as well.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies - A classic with a hint of prosperity energy.
- Italian Panissa Rice & Beans - This hearty dish is infused with fresh rosemary.
- Italian Grilled Cheese - With basil pesto, fresh mozzarella, crispy prosciutto, and a balsamic glaze.
Cooking with sun colors
Red and orange evoke fire, creativity, passion, and boldness. Invite this energy to your feast by serving foods with these colors.
- Brazilian Sunrise Cocktail - Made with cachaca, it's a Brazilian twist on a classic sunny cocktail.
- Cowboy Spaghetti - Made with fire roasted tomatoes and other spicy ingredients, this is not your average bolognese.
- Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Shells - Covered in red sauce, the shell shaped pasta evokes a little sea magick.
- Citrus Cocktail Cupcakes - With swirls of fiery orange, these would be a great treat for cakes and ale.
- Cajun Sweet Potatoes - A super simple dish as bright as the sun.
- Maple Glazed Carrots - A super simple preparation that adds the attraction energy of maple syrup.
- Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Orange Frosting - An orange slice right in the center represents the sun.
- Red Bean Salad - A no-cook recipe made with red onion and cherry tomatoes.
- Easy Cheesy Stuffed Peppers - Use red, yellow, and orange peppers and fill them with sun corresponded rice.
- Carrot Ginger Orange Mimosas - Start the celebrations with the sunrise with these beautiful mimosas.
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Maple Butter - Clear any energy blocks with fiery cayenne pepper.
- Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad - Just about the prettiest salad I've ever seen.
- Kir Royale - A simple combination of Chambord and sparkling wine create a beautiful color.
Sun Correspondended Ingredients
Every plant has a planetary corresondence, and in witchcraft, the sun is one of those planetary bodies. One of the most important, actually, and the one that is honored at Litha. This includes hazelnuts, rosemary, pineapples, corn, and rice. All of these foods can be used to represent sun energy.
- Cornbread-Topped Chili Mac - This easy weeknight dish calls in the abundance energy of corn.
- Rosemary Potato Rolls - My all time favorite, these rolls are made with fresh rosemary to increase wisdom.
- Sex on the Beach - Made with pineapple and seasonal peach, this drink is definitely a spell for something.
- Risotto Bolognese - Incorporating seasonal tomatoes, this hearty rice dish calls in prosperity.
- Vegan Sweet Corn & Roasted Bell Pepper Soup - Also known as sunshine soup, it's perfect for Midsummer.
- Mexican Mac & Cheese - Made with chicken, chilies, and corn.
- Lemon Risotto - Lemons are corresponded to the moon, but the sure feel like sunshine to me.
- Corn & Green Onion Biscuits - Made with just a few ingredients, these are perfect for soup dipping.
- Gammon Steaks with Pineapple Salsa - There's also jalapeno and fresh mint to add to the summer flavor. Cook your gammon steak on the grill outside if it's too hot to cook indoors.
- Cheddar Corn Soup - There's a hint of fire energy from chili-infused cheese.
- Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits - An indulgent no-bake dessert with the wisdom of hazelnuts.
- Chicken Corn Chowder - A hearty soup that is easily a meal all on its own.
- Hawaiian Bread Pudding - With pineapple and coconut, it will give you those tropical vibes.
Abundant fruits and berries
Trees and bushes are bursting with fertility and tempting us with their beautiful fruits and berries. Make the most of what the earth has to offer with these recipes.
- Strawberry Soju Slushie - Nothing says party like grinding up a bunch of fresh berries and mixing them with booze.
- Jam Tarts - If you've harvested too much fruit, make a quick jam for these beautiful tarts.
- Blueberry Jam Muffins - Can't get your hands on fresh berries? No worries.
- Strawberry Lemon & Basil Infused Water - Work with water energy by infusing it with fruit and herbs.
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie - Both fruits carry powerful fertility energy, plus the color is gorgeous.
- Raspberry Cooler - This bright red cocktail is sweet and refreshing.
- Brie & Blackberry Grilled Cheese - The sweet and tangy fruit cuts through the richness of the brie beautifully.
- Raspberry Margarita - It's not summer until you've had a fruity marg.
- Brie Grilled Cheese with Ham & Cherry Jam - Made on brioche, this is a real treat.
- Homemade Blueberry Muffins - It's a classic because it's awesome.
- Cherry Berry Cocktail - This gorgeous red cocktail is bursting with fertility energy.
- Italian Cream Sodas - Create all the colors of the rainbow with your favorite flavors.
- Pimm's & Cherry Lemonade - Pack your glass with fresh fruit and herbs.
Seasonal fresh vegetables
So I may not be the biggest fan of vegetables, but they definitely deserve to be celebrated at the height of their season. You'll get extra energy from anything you grow yourself, but it's certainly not required. Maybe this is the year you take yourself to the farmer's market and get to know your local growers.
- Vegetarian Jalapeno Poppers - Fill spicy peppers with seasoned cheese to create something awesome.
- Mexican Spinach Dip - This gooey dip feels super summery.
- Spinach Alfredo Mac & Cheese - This semi-homemade recipe is an easy weeknight dinner.
- Orzo Pasta with Bacon & Peas - It's all made in one pan for easy clean up.
- Indian Spiced Pea & Potato Wraps - It's crispy and full of flavor.
- Potato & Spinach Curry - A quick and easy vegetarian dish with plenty of spices.
- Bacon Goat Cheese & Green Onion Biscuits - They're great for soup dipping, but I also just sneak into the kitchen and snack on them warm with salted butter.
- Spinach & Cheese Baked Eggs - A light and breezy dish for any time of day, it's also covered in herby breadcrumbs.
- Chickpea & Spinach Curry - With a jammy egg for added fertility energy.
- Creamy Garlic Spinach Dip - Use fresh spinach and garlic for ultimate flavor.
- Mexican Lasagna - Layers upon layers of fresh veggies and cheese.
- Jalapeno Hush Puppies - Combine the sun energy of corn with seasonal jalapenos for something outrageously awesome.
- Zuchinni & Potato Pancakes - Eat them any time of day for a veggie snack.
- Dill Potato Salad - A classic with fresh summer herbs and seasonal new potatoes.
This fiery spice is ruled by the sun. Even though I often associate cinnamon with autumnal foods, I'm happy to eat it at the height of summer as well. It calls in prosperity, blesses the home, and is beautiful for love magic.
- Chocolate Cinnamon Cake - This delicate loaf cake is loaded with cinnamon energy.
- Chaitini - A lovely little cocktail full of prosperity spices.
- Double Glazed Chai Spice Muffins - A portable cake filled with fire energy.
- Hint of Cinnamon Chocolate Cake - This layer cake starts with a box mix and has a surprise ingredient.
- Cinnamon Pull Apart Cake with Lemon Glaze - A unique cake made with yeasted dough.
- Snickerdoodle Cookies - A classic cookie covered in cinnamon energy.
- Cinnamon Whole Wheat Pancakes with Brown Butter Blackberry Syrup - Incorporate seasonal berries for added fertility energy.
- Spiced Sparkling Cider - This golden cocktail is made with spiced syrup, perfect for a celebration.
- Snickerdoodle Cupcakes - Your favorite cinnamon cookie transformed into a beautiful buttery cupcake.
- Spice Cupcakes with Maple Frosting - Add the many magical properties of maple to your cupcakes.
- Homemade Churros with Chocolate Sauce - You don't have to wait for the county fair for this awesome treat.
- Baked Sweet Potato Brulee - Roast them in the oven or in the embers of your Litha bonfire.
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls - Honor the sacred spiral of life with this most delicious treat.
Cooking with fire
Make use of your bonfire if you can, or just fire up your backyard grill or even your kitchen torch to bring some flames to the party.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Burger - This is my favorite burger creation with spicy chili jam.
- Jalapeno Cream Cheese Stuffed Burgers - This one's got spicy cream cheese hidden in the center of the burger.
- Grilled Potato Foil Packets with Lemon Dill Creme Fraiche - Incorporate fresh summer herbs in this delicious side.
- Cuban Burgers - Wrapped in foil and smashed with a brick, this burger invokes sunny Cuban climes.
- Bacon Egg & Cheese Grilled Potatoes - A campfire breakfast feast.
- Grilled Chicken Skewers with Chili Mint Yogurt - Incorporate fresh mint and seasonal chilies.
- Basic Burgers - Learn to make a really great burger and you'll eat well for life.
- Spicy Southwest Burgers - This spicy burger incorporates seasonal veg.
- Flame Burger - Okay I really love cheeseburgers. This one is for spice lovers.
- S'mores Brownies - Less messy and more delicious than the real thing.
- Classic Creme Brulee - What's more fun than a dessert you get to set on fire.
- BBQ Pork Burger - This one is simple and oh so delicious.
Honor the flowers with honey
Buzzing bees are a sure sign of an abundant summer. They really need all our love and attention, so check to make sure your honey is sustainably sourced. You could also incorporate edible flowers themselves or infuse your food with flavors like lavender and rose.
- Rose Quartz Cocktail - A beautiful spell for all types of love, but especially self-love.
- Whipped Feta on Toast - Top with honey, fresh herbs, berries, or any other beautiful fresh foods you love.
- Spiced Honey Vodka - Also contains cinnamon for a punch of sun energy.
- Goat Cheese Crostini with Macadamia Nuts & Honey - Use an herb goat cheese for extra flavor and magic.
- Fiery Halloumi Salad - Make your own sweet chili sauce with fresh red chilies and honey.
- Lavender Cake - This simple loaf cake is infused with calm.
- Crispy Honey Chicken - Chinese takeout at home full of fiery flower power.
- Honey Whole Wheat Pancakes - Make breakfast magical and call on the abundance energy of wheat.
I hope you have the most beautiful Litha feast. You deserve it. If you make one of these recipes to celebrate Litha, I’d love to see it. Share your photos on Instagram, and hashtag them #awesomeon20.
And be sure to check my Kitchen Magick page for specific correspondences of various ingredients.