Savoury Sausage Bread Pudding is a delicious way to use up stale bread. Eggs and sausage and cheese all bake up to a puffy golden brown and delicious. This easy breakfast recipe can serve a crowd.
The middle of the week is my favorite time to dream about the weekend. Staring off into space imagining the cocktails, the long walks, and best of all, breakfast. Not a granola bar at my desk, but something luxuriant. Something doused in maple syrup or a dish featuring an oozing egg yolk. If there’s a mimosa along with it, all the better. Breakfast is what weekends are for.
So far, our weekends in Scotland have been relatively frantic. We’ve been wandering the city collecting things for our apartment. And without a car, that’s quite a workout. I think my arms might be dead. But the hard part is nearly over. If I could just get Ikea to deliver my damn dishes. Does it really count as an attempted delivery if nobody ever gets out of the van to press the buzzer? Le sigh!
Get excited about your weekend and put all your breakfast foods in one dish by making a Savoury Sausage Bread Pudding. You could throw some other stuff into this dish as well. Veggies, bacon, whatever. As long as you have stale bread, eggs, and milk, you’re all set. When you bake it in the oven, it gets all golden and puffy and smells exactly like a lazy weekend morning should smell.
Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee (or a mimosa), eat some Savoury Sausage Bread Pudding, and take it easy. Weekends are everything.Print
Savoury Sausage Bread Pudding
Savoury Sausage Bread Pudding has all your breakfast favorites in one dish. Sausage, cheese, eggs, and carbs, and all the awesome.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 small baguette or other crusty bread
- 8 ounces of your favorite sausage
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 10 grinds of pepper
- If your bread is already stale, all you need to do is tear it or cut it into cubes. If it’s still fresh, tear it up into bite-size chunks and spread it in your small casserole dish to let it dry out. The night before is perfect, but a couple of hours would cut it.
- Preheat your oven to 325.
- If your sausage is in casings, remove the casing and crumble the meat into a skillet over medium heat. Break up the sausage as it cooks. When it’s ready, sprinkle it over your stale bread. Sprinkle the cheese over that.
- While the sausage is cooking, whisk together the eggs, milk, and seasonings. Finally pour this mixture over your bread, sausage, and cheese. Press the bread down a bit to make sure it’s submerged if you need to. Allow this mixture to sit for at least 10 minutes, but a few hours in the fridge would be fine, too, or even over night.
- Bake your bread pudding for 50 minutes to an hour. It should be puffy and golden brown. Serve with a healthy dose of relaxation.
Keywords: Sausage, Bread Pudding