Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links. I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase as a result of clicking one of these links. There is no additional cost to you.
Skillet Cornbread is fluffy on the inside with a great crunchy crust on the outside. This recipe is the perfect accompaniment for your favorite chilli, but it's equally great with butter and honey.
I caught my first Scottish cold, and it knocked me down hard. I spent a week constantly trying to get back to my bed and making people angry at work with my chest rattling cough. Somebody please send a care package of NyQuil and Luden's Wild Cherry cough drops. Oh, and Campbell's tomato soup and Velveeta cheese, please. I can wholeheartedly testify that these things make having a cold suck much less.
I did manage to make some skillet cornbread in the midst of my suffering. That's how easy it is. And it goes with so many delicious foods served in hot steamy bowls. It's seems only logical to have some cornbread in the house while you're trying to recover from a cold or just from being cold. Let's do it.
The key is to preheat your pan while you bring your batter together. That's what gives your cornbread that delightful crust that contrasts so well with the soft center. At a glance, a recipe that requires three different mixing vessels may seem fussy, but I promise you, it's actually quite simple. We just have to bring everything together in the right order.
I'm so happy to start feeling alive again. Slowly but surely. By next weekend, I'll be ready to take on the world. Until then, chili and skillet cornbread forever.
Why not have this cornbread with some Spicy Chicken Chili?Print
Skillet Cornbread has a crunchy crust and a fluffy inside and is perfect with a bowl of something hot and steamy.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Southwest
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 203 grams (1-½ cups) cornmeal
- 1-¼ cups milk
- 135 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat your oven to 450F and place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven as it heats.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cornmeal and milk, and allow it to soak for 15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together vegetable oil and eggs. Add the oil and egg mixture to the soaked cornmeal and milk and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together with a rubber spatula.
- Put on an oven mit and carefully remove your skillet from the hot oven. Add butter and swirl it around as it melts to coat the pan. Pour your cornbread batter into the hot skillet and return it to the oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Carefully remove the pan from the hot oven. You can serve it from the pan if serving right away, but you don't want to store it in the pan if there are any leftovers. Slice and serve thick wedges with butter and your favorite bowl of hot, steamy awesomeness.
Leave a Reply