Vanilla Hot Chocolate for One is a simple cozy drink to keep you warm. Just a few simple ingredients are simply heated together on the stovetop. It's pure indulgence.
Lucky me, this winter is forecast to be the worst Scotland has seen in a very long time. I need sweaters, people. Lots and lots of cozy sweaters. And endless supplies of hot chocolate.
I drink possibly too much hot chocolate made from a mix, though I haven't yet found one here that's as good as Swiss Miss, but when I'm feeling fancy or god forbid I can't get my hands on hot chocolate mix, it's ridiculously easy to make my own hot chocolate in under three minutes.
What makes Vanilla Hot Chocolate so awesome?
The beauty of making hot chocolate from scratch is that you can create your own fancy flavors. Just peruse your pantry and try something different every time. Or go plain. That's great, too. I especially like to fortify my evening hot chocolate with something boozy. Baileys, Kahlua, or Frangelico are my favorite choices, but again, the possibilities are endless.
I pumped this hot chocolate up with a splash of vanilla extract. I also stirred in a bit of cream since I had some in my fridge. I usually only keep skim milk in the house, so putting back a bit of the fat makes it a bit more luxurious.
One last note, you can make this right in the mug if you want to save yourself from washing more dishes, but I like to give myself plenty of space to stir, so I make it in a microwave safe measuring cup and then transfer it to a mug after it's heated. Do what you want. It's your life and you gotta love it.
I'm sorry I just said so many words about hot chocolate. I'm passionate. What can I say?Print
Vanilla Hot Chocolate for One
Vanilla Hot Chocolate for One can be made with stuff you have hanging around your kitchen in under 3 minutes.
- Prep Time: 1
- Cook Time: 2
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stovetop
- 1 heaping teaspoon cocoa powder
- 2 heaping teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cream (or milk if you don't have cream in your fridge)
- Milk to top up to six ounces
- In a mug or microwave safe measuring cup, stir together cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla, and cream to form a paste. Add milk in slowly, stirring as you go, until your mug is full or you're up to six ounces in your measuring cup. Stir or whisk until smooth.
- Heat this in the microwave for 1-½ to 2 minutes depending on how hot you like it. Give the hot chocolate another stir and transfer to a mug if it's not already in there.
- Add booze and/or whipped cream and/or marshmallows to our hearts content.
Keywords: Hot Chocolate, Vanilla