The full Wolf Moon arrives each year in January during a sprase and difficult season. The fresh food may be scarce, we can still eat well. I've got 100 awesome recipe ideas to help you figure out what to eat for the wolf moon.
Long before clocks and calendars, humans used to moon to mark the passage of time. Each full moon was given a name to reflect its season, and some of those names have remained with us today.
The full moon in January is commonly known as the Wolf Moon. It's believed to have acquired this name because wolves were commonly heard at this time of year. With a lack of foliage, it would have been easier for their voices to carry.
The image of a wolf howling at the moon is ubiquitous. It was once believed that wolves howled in winter out of hunger, but it's more commonly believed today as a way to communicate with other wolves, even across great distances.
Spiritual Meaning of the Wolf Moon
The Wolf Moon shines a light on our connections. Winter can be harsh, resources may be scarce, so this is a time when we really need each other. Use the full moon's energy to shine a light on who you want to connect with. Who is in your pack? Who can you rely on for protection and support? Are you cultivating those relationships?
In 2024, the Wolf Moon occurs during Aquarius season, which is also a time for nurturing your community. Look beyond your immediate circle to see how you can use your unique talents to raise the collective vibration. Whether that's volunteering at an animal shelter, knitting socks for the needy, baking bread for the hungry, or whatever you're good at, let your energy flow beyond you. Pour the water of your love onto the dry ground of your community so that we can all be nourished.
The Wolf Moon will be in the sign of Leo, which brings with it the energy of pride, uniqueness, and fire. So don't feel like you have to fit in to be welcomed into the pack. Instead, be entirely yourself, and seek out the people who love you just as you are. The more you can be yourself, the easier it is for other to do the same.
What's in season at the Wolf Moon?
During the Wolf Moon, fresh foods are not necessarily abundant. Our ancestors would have had to rely on foods they'd stored from the Autumn harvest. And winter is not ending anytime soon, so they would need to be thoughtful about preserving their stores.
Of course, we live in a day and age where we can get pretty much anything we want anytime of year. But the more seasonally we can eat, the better stewards we are of the Earth. So consider focusing on root vegetables, dried or preserved foods, grains and beans, and cured meats.
Of course, what's naturally available will vary greatly depending on where you live. Here are just some of the things that are in season at the moment.
- Sweet Potatoes
- Cured meats like bacon, ham, and sausages
- Dry goods like oats and flour
The Wolf Moon is in Leo this year, so you can also incorporate that energy into your food around this time. Leo foods include:
- Passion Fruit
Recipes for the Wolf Moon
It's cold outside in the Northern Hemisphere, and the body is burning a lot of extra energy just trying to keep warm. I chose foods that not only featured seasonal ingredients but also kept you warm. So we're looking at more soups than salads. Foods that are comforting.
I also chose recipes that brought a bit of sunshine into the kitchen. You can immediately change up the vibe of a dreary January day by slicing open some citrus. I've made heavy use of these fruits to bring the sun energy that's so lacking this time of year.
Start your day with something hot and hearty.
- Black Pudding Hash - Uses potatoes and cured sausage for a deeply flavorful and hearty meal.
- Savory Sausage Bread Pudding - A great use for stale bread.
- Chorizo & Potato Breakfast Burrito - Uses this Spanish cured sausage to bring big flavor to breakfast.
- Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuits with Apple Butter - The spiced apple flavor really brightens up breakfast.
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes - Brighten up your morning.
- Spicy Mashed Potato Patties - Turn leftover mashed into a breakfast with a kick.
- Chocolate Porridge - Hot cereal makes winter mornings more bearable.
- Breakfast Burger - With bacon, egg, and hash browns, even a wolf would love this.
- Herbed Biscuits with Creamy Sausage Gravy - Fresh parsley, ruled by Leo, makes these biscuits extra awesome.
- Bacon Egg & Cheese Grilled Potatoes - Each person gets their own cozy foil packet.
- Healthy Waffles with Lemon & Chia Seeds - A healthy breakfast will get you through the sleepless nights.
- Whole Wheat Pancakes - It's healthyish and totally delicious.
Dips & Appetizers
Share your wolf moon feast with friends.
- White Cheddar Fondue - There's just something about a pool of cheese that warms me right up. Dip seasonal apples and serve with seasonal nuts.
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Dip - With pomegranate seeds, this will definitely brighten up a January day.
Share a meal with your pack whenever possible.
- Creamy Parsnip Soup - This soup, with its distinctive pepperiness, brings a bit of fire energy that's much needed at this time of year.
- Gnocchi Chili - Stretch your pot of chili by mixing in some delicious, pillowy gnocchi.
- Cornish Pasties - Wrap meat and root vegetables in a flaky pastry.
- Lemon Garlic Pasta - Made with bread crumbs and fresh parsley.
- Mitraillette - This Belgian sandwich loaded up with fries will definitely fill you up in the winter.
- Chicken & Potato Bake - A one pan dinner with fresh rosemary and lemon.
- Potato & Spinach Curry - Use frozen spinach if you can't find fresh in January.
- Apple Butter & Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese - Dip this in some tomato soup.
- Ham & Potato Soup - I can't get enough of this creamy, thick soup.
- Lemon Risotto - Fill your belly with bright, citrus energy.
- Gammon Steak with Pineappl Salsa - Imported fruits are some of the only fresh ingredients available right now, so make the most of it.
- Black Bean Chili with Bacon - Canned beans are a winter staple.
- Pork & Apple Hot Pot - This slow cooked dish will keep your kitchen warm.
- Crunchy Lemon Chicken - This dish has a crispy cornflake coating.
- Cranberry Turkey Meatloaf - This stays awesome well beyond the holidays.
- Chicken & Ham Pie - A steaming savory pie filled with winter veg is just so comforting.
- Ham & Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes - The variations on this are endless depending on what you have in the fridge.
- Butternut Squash & Carrot Soup - The color will cheer you up as much as the flavor.
- Pasta with Lemon Cream Sauce - Add chicken or salmon for added protein.
- Chestnut Soup - Squirells know what's up in the winter. Add more nuts to your diet.
- Garlic Bread Mac & Cheese - Made with plenty of fresh parsley to taste like everyone's favorite side dish.
- Cornbread Chili Casserole - A super comforting weeknight dinner.
- Potato & Pancetta Mac & Cheese - It's double carb action.
- Easy Leek & Potato Soup - Using two seasonal vegetables in one soup.
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie - Lots of veg and lentils to keep you healthy in the winter.
- Chicken & Chorizo Tray Bake - This dish has everything baked all together on one tray.
- Cheesy Potato Soup - With lots of bacon, this is right over the top.
- Turkey Scallopini - Flavored with lemon juice and ready in 10 minutes, it's the perfect weeknight dinner.
- South Indian Vegetable Curry - A great way to get your winter veg.
- English Pizza Rustica - It's basically a pile of cured meats and cheese in a flaky crust.
- Spicy Chicken Chili - This is the winter favorite in our house.
- Brined & Roasted Turkey Breast - Turkey is actually in season, so if you're a hunter, here's an awesome way to cook it.
- Cheesy Chorizo Chili - A cheesy twist on a classic one pot dish.
Add a little bit of wolf moon energy to your plate.
- Cajun Sweet Potatoes - A super simple side to bring some color and flavor to your meal.
- Italian Roasted Potatoes - Made with fresh rosemary and polenta.
- Spicy Cheese Fries - Let's face it, this will probably just be the only thing you want to eat.
- Parmesan Fried Gnocchi - This delicious and filling side is ready in 5 minutes.
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Maple Butter - It's almost like candy.
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole - All the good stuff mixed into a creamy casserole.
- Garlic Herb Bread - With plenty of fresh parsley for Leo energy.
- Mashed Potatoes - Always the right answer.
Bread baking will help keep the oven warm and bulk out meals that are more simple.
- Potato Rolls - Use dried potato flakes for these lighter than air dinner rolls.
- Garlic & Herb Focaccia Bread - Great for dipping, this features Leo energy with lots of fresh parsley
- Buttermilk Soda Bread - A perfect quick bread for dipping in winter stew.
- Whole Wheat Guinness Soda Bread - This has a deliciously deep flavor thank to the addition of stout.
- Rustic Rye Bread - Winter is a great time to experiment with new grains.
- Potato Bread - One of the softest loaves I've ever made.
- Lavender Cake - Bring the Leo energy with dried lavender buds in this beautiful cake.
- 5 Minute Microwave Lemon Cake - For dessert emergencies.
- Citrus Bundt Cake - Loaded with gorgeous sunshine flavors.
- Lemon Meringue Fool - A three-ingredient dessert that's bright and sunny.
- Lemon & Ginger Bars - This will brighten even the harshest day.
- Lemon & Thyme Pound Cake - Fresh thyme brings a floral flavor to this bundt cake.
- Chocolate Amaretto Tart - Add some almond energy to a decadent dessert.
- Lemon Loaf Cake - Triple lemon action.
- Almond Pastry Puff - Similar to a galette de rois, eaten in January.
- Chocolate Orange Loaf Cake - Put the kettle on and treat yourself.
- Chocolate Orange Mousse - This recipe cheats a bit so you don't have to fiddle with egg whites.
- Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Orange Frosting - This is extra awesome with blood oranges.
- Flourless Chocolate Lime Cake with Margarita Cream - A delicious gluten-free dessert.
- Hawaiian Bread Pudding - Add pineapple and macadamia nuts to this deeply comforting dessert.
- Spiced Flourless Chocolate Cake - Call on almonds and oranges for this rich but simple dessert.
- Lemon Polenta Cake - This gluten-free cake uses cornmeal to bring a beautiful texture.
- Passion Fruit Victoria Sponge - This cake carries big Leo energy.
- Orange Cheesecake Brownies - Definitely decadent enough for the dessert table.
- Baked Sweet Potato Brulee - Sweet potatoes taste like candy, so they can definitely be dessert.
- Chocolate Olive Oil Cake - This gluten-free cake is made with ground almonds and harnesses the energy of the sun.
Winter is hard. Find little delights wherever you can.
- Chocolate Banana Muffins - Call in Leo energy with some fresh bananas.
- Satsuma & Dark Chocolate Brioche - This sweet bread makes awesome French toast.
- Apple Butter - This is a great way to use up any apples that are a bit past their prime.
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies - Add whole grain to your treats.
- Chocolate Orange Scones - Your afternoon just got awesome.
- Banana Macadmia Nut Muffins - Go full on tropical when the weather is miserable.
- Passion Fruit Curd - Make the energy from seasonal passion fruits last by cooking into a curd.
Share a drink with friends or pour yourself a little something to keep warm.
- Spiced Honey Vodka - Best served warm, this is flavored with beautiful winter spices.
- Pomegranate Margaritas - This fruit reminds us that life will return in the spring.
- Pomegranate Martini - For the sophisticated cocktail lover.
- Orange & Amaretto Cider - Every flavor sings of the season.
- Ginger Pomegranate Cocktail - The added fire energy of ginger will warm you up.
- Spiced Sparkling Cider Cocktail - Pop a cork to celebrate the full moon.
- Passion Fruit Margarita - Passion fruits are ruled by Leo and just happen to be in season in January.
- Carrot Ginger Orange Mimosa - Sometimes you need to drink a little bit of sunshine with breakfast.
- Apple Margarita - It's always margarita time.
- Vanilla Hot Chocolate for One - Go on, treat yourself.
- Citrus Gin Fizz - Brighten up cocktail hour with a bit of sun energy.
Celebrate the Wolf Moon
I hope this has given you some ideas for delicious recipes inspired by the Wolf Moon. How will you be honoring this full moon?
If you're looking for some guidance on how to work with the moon, be sure to grab my free ebook and check out the Moon Magic Membership. I offer guidance for every new and full moon plus so much more.
May you find your pack and never feel alone.