The sun moves into Aquarius today, January 19th. Here are some suggestions for what to eat in Aquarius season to make the most of this flowing energy.
Aquarius is forward thinking and idealistic. This sign is symbolized by the water bearer, but is actually ruled by the element of air, lending it intellectual strength. Aquarius rules the circulatory system, the channels of liquid that carry oxygen throughout your body and to your precious brain. So Aquarius season would be a great time to focus on heart health and cholesterol.
Aquarius rules over some truly delicious plants including cacao, which is fortunate because Valentine's Day fall in Aquarius season, and I'm pretty sure you're allowed to eat chocolate until you puke on Valentine's Day. Here are a few of my favorites.
Rosemary is an absolute champion of herbal witchcraft, as it can be substituted for any herb in a spell and covers a wide variety of energies. My guess is that it's associated with Aquarius because rosemary is known to bring wisdom and improve the memory. Here are a few recipes to try to celebrate this versatile herb:
- Rosemary Potato Rolls
- Italian Panissa Rice - rice is associated with the element of air
- Italian Roasted Potatoes - potatoes are in season now
Peppermint is another personal favorite herb and a great flavor to cook and bake with. Mint brings in an energy of enduring abundance which is much needed during these harsh winter months. Try one of these recipes:
- Mint Brownies - chocolate is also an Aquarian food
- Mint Limeade
- Mint Cucumber Lemon Water - put it in a fancy pitcher to honor the water bearer
Chocolate, particularly white chocolate, and its mother cacao are associated with Aquarius. I don't quite know why, but I'm not complaining. Take this gift and run with it. Here are a few of my most popular chocoltae recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
- Chocolate Banana Muffins - bananas correspond with the elment of air
- Homemade Chocolate Pudding for Two - hello date night
Pine, and by extension, pine nuts are also associated with Aquarius. All parts of the pine tree have been used in witchcraft, but as a kitchen witch, of course I prefer the nuts. My favorite recipe featuring pine nuts is this Gorgonzola Focaccia Bread, but anything with pesto usually contains pine nuts as well.
Rye also corresponds with Aquarius. Try this Rustic Rye Bread, and leave some as an offering for the season.
To broaden our possibilities a little bit, we can bring in the element associated with Aquarius, which is air. If your first guess is always that Aquarius is a water sign, you're not alone. I mean is starts with aqua, and the symbol is a lady with a jug of water. But no, it's actually an air sign. So what can we eat to incoporate this element into our kitchen witchcraft?
Almonds correspond with air and can bring energy and vitality. They're in season in January, so they should be plentiful. Here are a few recipes to bring almonds into your life.
- Almond Pastry Puff
- Orange & Amaretto Cider - apples are in season still, and cider is a delicious way to preserve them, oranges are also in season
- Chocolate Amaretto Tart - bringing back that chocolate
Black beans carry air energy and are associated with communication and wisdom. Canned and dried beans are also helpful at this time of year to keep us healthy when growth is sparse. Try these recipes:
- Black Bean Chili with Bacon
- Cheesy Black Bean Bacon Dip - spoiler alert, cheese also corresponds with air
- Black Bean & Chorizo Soup
Cheese corresponds with both earth and air. Okay, so maybe this doesn't help with the heart health, but it will bring in an energy of success and happiness. Being happy will make me less stressed, so maybe that will help my circulatory system. Anyway, let's eat. I literally searched the word cheese, and these were the most popular results.
- Chicken & Goat Cheese Pasta - this recipe features lots of fresh rosemary
- Frito Chili Cheese Wrap
- The Best Bacon Egg & Cheese Sandwich
Coffee corresponds with air and can definitely sharpen your mind when applied appropriately. I'm not a coffee drinker myself, but I do love a bit of Kahlua from time to time.
- Chocolate Kahlua Bread Pudding - chocolate is one of coffee's best friends
- Kahlua Brownies - like I said...
- White Russian Milkshake
Figs are associated with air, and I've got a couple of grilled cheese recipes that feature fig jam.
Hazelnuts are an air food, and in my opinion, they're at their best when ground up with lots of Aquarian chocolate. You know what I'm talking about. Here are some delicious ways to eat Nutella besides straight out of the jar.
- Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits - double down on the air action with cream cheese
- Nutty Nutella Boozy Milkshakes - there's amaretto in here for some almond action as well
- Nutella Fairy Toast - spread this on some rye bread and leave a bit for the fairies
Maple brings love, prosperity, longevity, and protection. This tree's wood has long been favored for wand making, but in kitchen witchcraft, it's gotta be maple syrup. Here's how to apply this flavor beyond your morning pancakes.
- Croissant French Toast with Maple Bacon Whipped Cream
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Maple Butter
- Maple Panetonne Bread Pudding
Oregano brings the airy energy of creativity and communication. These Grilled Chicken Skewers with Chili Mint Yogurt bring you and air herb and an Aquarius herb in one delicious recipe.
Pomegranates are always appropriate for the dark half of the year. They can help you listen to your inner voice and bring wisdom. They also represent the connection to the realms of the dead. They also happen to be in season right now. I prefer to drink my pomegranates. Try one of these:
Rice corresponds to both earth and air and brings protection. It also symbolizes abundance and prosperity. Plus the fact that it's a staple food eaten dried means that it's still readily accessible in the winter months. Try these recipes to make your rice a bit more awesome.
- Coconut Basmati Rice
- Lemon Rice - serve with the chicken skewers above
- Oozy Risotto Balls - add cheese to any leftover risotto to make it extra awesome
What's in season for Aquarius
Beyond what's traditionally corresponded with the sign and its element, let's take a look at what the Earth actually has to offer right now. This is the way our ancestors ate before international shipping, refrigeration, and plastic packaging. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat in a modern way, but looking at what the Earth has to offer can help deepen our practice as kitchen witches.
According to Eat the Seasons, here are some of my favorite foods available in the UK during Aquarius season. These are probably also available in most parts of the US as well. Southern hemisphere friends, enjoy your summer and try not to rub it in.
Potatoes are the herb of the month, so you can check out an entire post dedicated to my favorite tuber. They bring a grounding energy that can help to balance airy Aquarius. Here are some of my most popular potato recipes:
Apples, if stored properly, are still giving us their magical energy well into the winter. Here are a few ways to enjoy them:
Lemons bring a bright, cleansing energy to everything. They just make me feel light and happy. And they're a brilliant ingredient to add a hit of acid to anything you might be creating in your kitchen. Try these popular lemon recipes.
Oranges and especialy blood oranges are a great way to bring some sunshine into your life during the dark winter. Granted, these are being imported to us here in Scotland, but they're readily available right now, so make the most of them.
- Chocolate Orange Mousse - is there nothing that can't be improved with chocolate?
- Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Orange Frosting - see what I mean?
- Carrot Ginger Orange Mimosa - carrots are still in season in much of the US
Passion fruit is another tropical fruit that can be found in stores at this time of year. Both the flowers and the fruit just look so magical and otherworldy. I think that alone makes them perfect for use in kitchen witchcraft. Make some Passion Fruit Curd, then use that to make a Passion Fruit Victoria Sponge.
Pineapple is also coming to us from warmer climates. Marry it to something distinctly British by making Gammon Steak with Pineapple Salsa.
Turkey is also in season in January and February if you are a hunter. For those of us who tend to shop rather than shoot, we can still celebrate this healthy protein right now. It's not just for Christmas.
- Cranberry Glazed Turkey Meatloaf - cranberries are still in season in the US
- Turkey Scallopini - bringing in some lemon energy
- Leftover Turkey Enchiladas
There you have it, kids. I hope this gives you some ideas for what to eat during Aquarius season to help you connect with this energy and bring the stars right into your kitchen. As above, so below. May this Aquarius energy bring you wisdom to flow through your life with integrity.