Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links. I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase as a result of clicking one of these links. There is no additional cost to you.
Spam Mac & Cheese is a cheap and easy week night dinner. It feels nostalgic and a little bit naughty. Try it with your favorite Spam flavor tonight.
February is definitely when I miss Hawaii the most. Though the crocuses are emerging and signs of life are returning, we're still firmly in winter. The wind is harsh, the rain is endless, and the sun barely penetrates. When I see my friends on the beach, my heart aches for our tiny house in Honolulu.
That's not to say that Scotland doesn't have its own charm. Stepping into a cozy pub to escape the storm never gets boring. Lighting a fire in the fireplace and snuggling up under a blanket to watch a movie is something we never would have done in Hawaii. And I can cook and bake whenever I want without sweating to death.
This Spam Mac & Cheese is the perfect mash up of my life in Hawaii and my life in Scotland. It features the salty weird but somehow delicious canned ham that Hawaiians adore mixed with the coziest comfort food of all time, mac and cheese. I didn't realize that mac and cheese was a pub food staple here. It's so amazing. I never have to worry that there won't be anything I like on the menu.
We're making a simple mac and cheese sauce here with evaporated milk that thickens and sets in the oven. First, the Spam gets cubed up and cooked until crisp in a skillet to change up the texture. Then sprinkle the crispy Spam bits over the creamy mac and cheese, and dig in.
No place is perfect. Everything has beauty. Spam Mac and Cheese is awesome. Some things are just universally true.
Spam Mac & CheeseCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
4 ounces macaroni
1 small can Spam, cubed
6 ounces evaporated milk
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 450 F (225 C) and dig out two ramekins or individual baking dishes.
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. When boiling, add a big pinch of salt, then stir in your pasta. Cook for two minutes shy of the time on the package to ensure the pasta is al dente. Drain.
- While your macaroni is cooking, add your Spam cubes to a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until crisp on all sides. This may take about 10 minutes. Once crisp, turn off the heat and set aside.
- Also while everything is cooking on the stove, you can mix your sauce. Add the evaporated milk, egg, and seasonings to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Stir in the cheese.
- When your pasta and Spam are ready, we can start bringing everything together. Add all the cooked pasta and about half your spam to the sauce mixture and stir to combine. Divide the mixture between your two ramekins. Scatter over the remaining spam.
- Put your ramekins on a baking sheet and pop them both into the oven. Cook for about 10 minutes until melted and gooey. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before digging in.
If you love mac and cheese, check out this Chorizo Mac & Cheese recipe.
Are we hanging out on Instagram? Follow me for more awesome food and lots of love.
Leave a Reply