Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf is topped with tangy tomato sauce and has a layer of gooey mozzarella in the middle. This recipe is so easy. Just let the oven do all the work. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes for a nostalgic dinner.
I've become a bit of a meatloaf evangelist here in the UK. I don't know how this happened. It's not as if I grew up eating meatloaf. I probably wouldn't have liked it as a kid and truth be told, I still try to pick out bits of onion whenever possible. As I learned to cook, though, meatloaf became something I embraced.
It has a bit of a bad reputation. If you overcook it or don't add enough moisture to the mix, it can be a disappointment. But if it's done right, it's not only tasty the first time around with cheesy mashed potatoes, it's equally as awesome the next day on soft sandwich bread with a healthy dose of mayo. It's time to get on board all around the world.
This Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf has a bit of an Italian flare. Nothing authentic or elevated. I mean, it's just meatloaf, people. There's mozzarella cheese layered throughout, and it's topped off with your favorite tomato basil sauce. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law loved it. I'm starting a British meatloaf revolution.
I served this with mashed potatoes punched up with some parmesan cheese. You could probably also throw in a nice green salad if you're into that sort of thing.
Is retro still a thing? I have no idea, but I'm definitely still into meatloaf. Make it happen.
Looking for more awesome meatloaf recipes? Try these Mini Cheddar Meatloaves. I love them.Print
Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf is perfect for a nostalgic weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1-½ pounds ground beef
- 15 ounces of your favorite tomato sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1-½ tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1-½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef, one cup tomato sauce, and all remaining ingredients except for mozzarella cheese. Gently mix all ingredients. I find it's easiest to do this with my hands.
- Add a third of the meat mixture to a loaf pan. Evenly sprinkle over half the cheese. Add another third of the meat, then the rest of the cheese, and finally the last of the meat.
- Cook your meatloaf in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the meatloaf and spread the remaining tomato sauce over the top. Cook in the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Keywords: Ground Beef, Cheese, Meatloaf
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for even more easy dinner ideas.