Cheez-Its Mac and Cheese is a creamy cheesy mac and cheese topped with everyone's favorite crunchy cheesy cracker. Make one big batch or bake it in individual ramekins. This recipe is easy, cheesy, and fun.
Now that Emily has gone back home, it's time to reap the consequences of our month of indulgence. It was so awesome doing and eating whatever we wanted for a while, but now it's time to simmer down. I'm sure I've complained about dieting before. It's not really my thing. I like being happy, and eating is one of the things that makes me really happy. I'm trying to cut back on my calories without making myself a crazy, hangry lady. It's not easy.
We've set up a few arbitrary rules that have easily as much to do with environmental impact as they do with our eating habits. First off, we've decided to try to only eat beef once a week. As a girl who loves a fast food hamburger, this is not as easy as it may sound. Secondly, we've decided to reinstitute meatless Mondays. I don't eat a lot of veggies, so I usually end up eating carbs and cheese all day long. Perhaps not ideal, which is why we now also have cheeseless Tuesdays at our house. It's a thing.
What makes Cheez-Its Mac & Cheese so awesome?
So Cheez-Its Mac and Cheese isn't exactly diet food. I told you, I'm terrible at this. Here's how I trick myself into being allowed to eat this. I only make enough for two people. This recipe is perfect for two individual portions, so there's no leftovers (unless you show great restraint) and no opportunity for that second helping you didn't really need.
The inspiration for this dish came from a friend of ours who has an unhealthy obsession with Cheez-Its. The kid will eat through a Costco size box in no time. It's gotten so that every time we get together, everybody brings Cheez-Its to share. Sadly, I realized how addicting they can be as well, which is why I got excited to crush them up and put them on top of mac and cheese. It's so much more fun than boring bread crumbs.
Everything in moderation, my friends. Cheez-Its Mac and Cheese today, kale and quinoa tomorrow. Wait, let's not get crazy. Let's just stay awesome, and take it easy!Print
Cheez-Its Mac and Cheese
Sharp cheddar mac and cheese topped with crunchy crushed up Cheez-Its is a Cheez-Its addict's dream come true.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 4 ounces macaroni or other short pasta
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of garlic powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup Cheez-Its, crushed
- Preheat oven to 475 and lightly spray two ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill a medium sauce pan ⅔ full of water and place over high heat until the water boils. Add a pinch of salt, then add the pasta to the water. Cook for about six minutes. Pasta will be al dente. Drain pasta.
- In the meantime, whisk together evaporated milk, egg, and seasonings in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the cheese. When the pasta is drained, add it to the mixing bowl and stir everything together.
- Divide your mac and cheese between your two ramekins. Top with Cheez-Its crumbs. Put your ramekins on a baking sheet, and cook in the oven for about 12 minutes or until bubbly and lightly brown.
- Allow your mac and cheese to cool for at least 10 minutes. Grab your ramekin and go to cheese heaven.
- To get your Cheez-Its crumbs, simply put the crackers in a small zip top bag, and smash them up. A coarse crumb is awesome.
Keywords: Cheese, Pasta