Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links. I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase as a result of clicking one of these links. There is no additional cost to you.
These Double Chocolate Chip Muffins will satisfy all your cravings. Easy to bake and perfectly portable, they're the answer to all your burning chocolate desires.
How did something that's pretty bitter and disgusting in its natural state come to be practically synonymous with indulgence and pleasure? And with all respect to the indigenous cultures that first crafted cacao, I confess I'm partial to that creamy colonized chocolate combined with creamy milk and sweet sugar. Allowing a square of good quality milk chocolate to melt on my tongue is pure bliss.
Some scientist claim its chcolate's ability to melt at below body temperature that makes it so alluring. That very well may be, but my experience seems much more magical. My mind is not focused on the physics or the chemistry, but whatever's happening in my brain, I want more of it. No matter how bad I'm feeling, chocolate always raises my vibration.
What makes Double Chocolate Chip Mufins so awesome?
These Double Chocolate Chip Muffins are deeply chocolaty. Made with cocoa powder and chocolate chips, they're moist and fluffy with big puffy tops and that hint of a crust that muffins should have. These are most glorious when eaten warm from the oven with a cold glass of milk. The great thing about muffins, though, is that they're also easy to transport, so they're ideal for packing in a picnic or taking to a meeting or event.
Whatever you do, make sure you give yourself a moment to enjoy just how good these are. Don't stuff one in your face in the car while you're on your way to work unless you really have to. They're too good to not allow your mind to linger on the joy for at least a few seconds. And they're so easy to make, you'll find yourself seeking that pleasure on a regular basis.
Magical Properties of Chocolate
Chocolate's magicla proprties are earthy and sensual. Spells are often tied to love and seduction, but it can also call in prosperity and happiness. White, milk, and dark chocolate all hold slightly different properties. The darker chocolate we're using in this recipe is ruled by the elements of earth and fire and the Earth and the Moon. It's also associated with the sacral and heart chakra, as well as the signs of Scorpio, Virgo, and Aries.
Use dark chocolate when you want to turn enemies into friends or create feelings of love and romance. It's also good for grounding spells as well as prosperity magick. Learn more about the magical properties of all types of chocolate on the Kitchen Magick page.
Here's everything you need for this recipe. The full details are in the recipe card below.
- Flour - all-purpose or plain
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Baking soda - aka bicarb
- Butter - we're using melted butter here, so do that first
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate - chips or chunks or chopped chocolate, whatever you got
Tips for making Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
Making muffins is simple. First combine all your dry ingredients in a big mixing bowl. In another bowl or a large measuring jug, mix together all your wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry and fold them together gently and quickly to avoid developing the glutens in the flour. Then gently fold in the flour.
Fill your muffin cups evenly. They'll basically be full. We want them to puff up and create those gorgeous muffin tops. Bake for about 20 minutes and turn them out onto a wire rack as soon as they're cool enough that they won't burn your fingers. This allows that lovely muffin crust to form rather than having soggy bottoms.
Serve them warm and store them in an air tight container. Muffins are best on the first day but still really good for two or three days afterward.
Who knew something as simple as Double Chocolate Chip Muffins could bring so much joy and pleasure? I mean, I knew, but now you know as well. What are you waiting for?
Looking for more awesome muffin recipes? Try these Caramel Butterscotch Muffins or some classic Homemade Blueberry Muffins.Print
Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 15 1x
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 270 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 92 grams (¾ cup) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 263 grams (1-¼ cup) sugar
- 113 grams (1 stick) butter, melted and slightly cooled (Just melt your butter first thing. It will be cool enough by the time you get to it)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat your oven to 375 F (190 C) and grease your muffin pan.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together sugar, melted butter, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and quickly fold them together with a spatula. Work as quickly and lightly as possible. Try to make sure everything is moistened, but don't worry about getting out all the lumps. You'll end up with tough muffins if you overwork it.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop your batter into your muffin pan. The cups will be nearly full.
- Put the pan in the oven and increase the heat to 400 F (200 C). Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Turn out your muffins as soon as possible. You can give them a couple minutes to cool off so you don't burn your fingers. If you leave them in the pan to cool, they may have soggy bottoms and you won't get that lovely muffin crust.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: Muffins, Chocolate
Follow me on Pinterest for more awesome muffin recipes.
Marwa Gad says
Can I use milk instead of buttermilk
If you substitute regular milk instead of buttermilk, it will affect the acidity of the batter, which in turn affects the way the baking powder/soda reacts. You may not get the same type of rise. If you don't have buttermilk, you can always add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk and let it sit for 10 minute to make your own.