Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes turn your favorite muffin into an indulgent quick breakfast. This recipe is so easy and delicious.
Okay okay okay. Words. Right. I remember words. I used to be able to string them together into charming little sentences that made people smile or laugh or feel. Man, those were the days.
I saw snow for the first time in at least six years. It was absolutely breathtaking while I was bundled up in my cozy Victorian flat watching it slowly cover the ground through my bay window. I was mesmerized. I couldn't bring myself to close the curtains. It wasn't until the next day when I had to walk miles in the snow and stand outside in somewhat inappropriate shoes for a few hours that I remembered why I had been a tropical girl for the last six years. I think I may have gone into shock. Okay, maybe not, but it was unbelievably cold for what I had to wear.
What makes Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes so awesome?
You know what's better than standing in the snow? Pancakes! And what's better than plain old pancakes? Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes, of course. It's your favorite muffin transformed into your favorite breakfast and slathered in butter and syrup. Come on, you guys. You know you want this.
If you're nervous about making pancakes from scratch, just let go of your apprehensions right now. It does take a bit more time, but the outcome is totally worth it. This recipe creates tender and brightly tart pancakes that will definitely perk up your morning. Unless you're like me and you eat them for dinner. In which case, you're probably a genius.
I remember when I thought 70 degrees was cold. I was so very wrong. But I am totally right about Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes. They're awesome.Print
Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes
Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes are light, bright, and wonderful for breakfast.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 pancakes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- A drizzle of oil for frying
- Butter and maple syrup, to serve
- In a small bowl, add the sugar and grate the lemon zest on top of it. Use your fingers to rub the lemon zest and sugar together.
- In a large bowl, gently whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the lemon sugar.
- In a separate container, whisk together buttermilk, egg, vanilla, lemon juice, and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold quickly but gently to combine. Fold in the poppy seeds. Allow your batter to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a skillet or griddle to medium heat and drizzle in a bit of oil. Use a paper towel to wipe the oil around the pan so the whole thing is covered with a thin film. Scoop in about a third of a cup of batter at a time to make your pancakes. Cook about two to three minutes per side.
- Stack your pancakes on a plate and cover them with a clean dish towel while you cook off all your pancakes.
- Serve warm with butter and syrup.
Keywords: Lemon, Poppyseed, Pancakes
Looking for more awesome pancake recipes? Try these Honey Whole Wheat Pancakes.