You'll need witchcraft materials for protection to craft your own spells to protect your energy from negative influence. I've got a list of crystals, herbs, and other correspondences you can choose from to create the spell that works best for you. Make it awesome.
One of the first things a witch might want to learn is protection spells. This is not because I think people will be constantly trying to hex you, but because there's just a lot of low level energy floating around out there, and we want to keep that out while we focus on manifesting our intentions.
Protection spells can help you stay focused on the energy you want to create. If you're ready to start creating your own spells, you can use this list of correspondences and witchcraft materials for protection to help you choose what works best for you, your craft, and your unique energy.
Correspondences are those intangible energies you might like to call in to make your spell more powerful. Some of them have corresponding material that can ground that intangible energy in the material realm to bring your spell to life.
The time of day, week, or month that you perform your spell can be powerful. Protection spells often need to be done or maintained frequently, so you may want to choose a day of the week or a moon phase where you always do protection.
- Moon phase - Depending on the type of protection work you're doing, you may want to use a different moon phase. If you're increasing your energy for something like shielding, first quarter or waxing gibbous would be a good time. If you're releasing or banishing negative energy, the waning moon would be more appropriate, especially last quarter.
- Days of the week - Saturday, ruled by Saturn, god of boundaries and limitations, is the ideal day for protection work.
If you choose to work with deities, you can use an statue or picture of them or an animal that is sacred to them. You could also use a color, herb, or crystal that is associated with that deity.
- Artemis - Greek goddess of the moon and the hunt, call on her for courage, independence, and protection
- Tara - Hindu goddess of compassion, nourishment, and protection
- Tiamat - Babylonian sea goddess can bring power, magick, and protection
- Horus - Falcon-headed Egyptian god offers knowledge, eternal life, and protection
Each sign brings unique qualities, so you way wish to call on a certain sign's energy or time your spell for when the sun or moon are in that sign for added power.
- Cancer - A water sign ruled by the moon, Cancer energy is very nurturing. With a hard protective shell, it can keep your inner emotions safe from harm.
- Scorpio - Like Cancer, the scorpion has a hard outer shell, along with a poisonous tail. Perhaps a slightly fiercer protective energy, call on Scorpio to actively repel anyone or anything you want to keep away.
There are many ways to incorporate color magic into your spell. Pair the appropriate color with your candles, crystals, flowers, etc. Wear these colors as protection.
- White - powerful for cleansing your energy field, a white light protection spell is a classic
- Black - for more active banishing of negative energy
All four elements have protective qualities depending on how you view them.
- Earth - call on this element to help you feel grounded and stable in the face of negativity; imagine yourself protected by a wall of impenetrable rock as a shield
- Air - call on air to help you care a little less about what others think, allowing criticism to blow away on the wind; visualize yourself in the eye of a hurricane as a shield
- Fire - allow fire energy to melt away any negative energy around you; visualize bad vibes being burned to dust before they can get to you
- Water - ask water to purify you of any negative energy that may have attached to you each time you wash your hands or bathe; picture a wall of water rushing up around you as a shield
Witchcraft Materials for Protection
We don't actually need anything to perform a spell because all the power comes from our own mind. Having the right materials, though, can help to anchor your thoughts in the material realm and strengthen your energy for the spell. Any object that makes you feel safe can be used in protection work. Here are some witchcraft materials for protection to get you started.
You can incorporate crystals into spells, or simply wear one or carry one with you as a protective amulet. Any crystal can be charged with any intention, but some carry protective energy naturally. There are dozens of protective crystals, but here are a few common ones you may want to work with.
- Amber - fire energy that can protect your home, car, or business
- Bloodstone - tied to health, especially of your blood, and physical protection
- Garnet - used in the Middle Ages to drive away demons, increases courage and hope
- Snowflake obsidian - absorbs negative energy and boosts strength
- Peridot - historically believed to repel evil and malevolent magic
- Ruby - believed to protect against vampires, it may work on energy vampires, too
- Turquoise - carry this to protect you while traveling
Herbs & Botanicals
Plants can be used in magic in a variety of ways. You can ingest it through food or a simple tea. Burn herbs as incense either pre-made or by burning loose herbs on a charcoal disc. You can also use them to dress candles in the form of oils or dried herbs. You can anoint yourself with essential oils. Or simply add botanicals to jars or bags. There are so many possibilities.
Here are just a handful of the many herbs and botanicals with protective qualities.
- Ash - plant ash trees to protect your home
- Birch - a protective tree associated with children
- Cedar - build a cedar fence around your property or keep items you want to protect in a cedar box
- Elder - protects against being struck by lightning
- Hawthorn - also brings fertility, harmony, and happiness
- Hazel - also brings fertility and luck
- Oak - a favorite of the Druids, also brings strength and courage
- Rowan - protects from evil
- Willow - strongly tied to the Goddess and feminine energy
- Witch hazel - brings healing and peace, common in homemade skin care
- Carnation - also brings strength, energy, luck, and healing
- Geranium - the red flowers carry the strongest protection energy
- Hyacinth - also used for love and happiness
- Lilac - used to banish negative energy
- Lily - can be used to remove hexes
- Snapdragon - protects from illusion and deception
- Angelica - call in protection from the angels
- Basil - also brings prosperity, peace, happiness, and purification
- Comfrey - used for protection during travel
- Dill - also brings good fortune, tranquility, and prosperity
- Marjoram - also brings happiness and joy in family environments
- Mugwort - powerful for banishing
- Rosemary - also brings wisdom and improves memory
- Sage - a popular herb for purification
- Verbena - can reverse negative activity
Protection Spells for Kitchen Witches
In addition to the botanicals listed above, there are lots of foods that can bring protective energies. Here are a few recipes you can use as protective spells for you and your family.
- Green Apple Martini
- Whole Wheat Guinness Soda Bread
- Easy Cheesy Stuffed Peppers
- Brie & Blackberry Grilled Cheese
- Cacio e Pepe
- Whipped Ricotta
- Chocolate Cinnamon Cake
- Coconut Basmati Rice
- Cranberry Glazed Turkey Meatloaf
- Dill Potato Salad
- Garlic Herb Toast
- Stem Ginger Biscuits
- Lemongrass Gin Cocktail
- Mint Limeade
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Maple Butter
- Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
- Bacon Goat Cheese & Green Onion Biscuits
- Indian Spiced Pea & Potato Wraps
- Pomegranate Margaritas
- Raspberry Lemonade
- Rosemary Potato Rolls
I hope this list of witchcraft materials for protection helps you get started creating your own protection spells. For more advice on protecting your energy, check out Witchcraft Spells for Beginners - Protection, this recipe for poultry seasoning using herbs of protection, or our podcast episode on protecting your energy.
Share you protection spells with me on Instagram. And remember, magic works because you are magical. You don't need any of these things to co-create your intentions, just your own belief and energy. Take good care of yourself. Make it awesome.